Notices

My problem is back

Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Phmdyw,
Some people do not believe in God and His principles. Some people do not believe there is a God. Some people are turned off by a spiritual path. AA is not for everyone and AA does not have a monopoly on recovery. If the original poster is not interested in AA for whatever reason, she can find a number of secular recovery methods -- SMART, SOS, Rational Recovery, LifeRing, to name a few. There are plenty of folks who have found recovery and have never stepped foot into an AA meeting. If she later changes her mind and wants to try an AA meeting, AA will be there. If she doesn't change her mind, AA will be there.
Susan Lauren
Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you susanlauren: I would like to add that I have gone to at least 300+ AA meetings at this point and have never heard in AA rooms the kind of AA proselytizing that I hear on internet forums like this one.
I don't know what causes the phenomena: maybe when people are alone and anonymous sitting behind a screen they say things they wouldn't say in an AA group. I can't think of anything in AA literature that describes the people that make it into the AA rooms as "blessed" and all the others face a bitter end.
It's a shame really, because I hear the principles of AA constantly twisted and convoluted into something I don't recognize sometimes. I just shake my head and wonder what AA they are going to.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
I just shake my head and wonder what AA they are going to.
There have always been regional differences in style within the fellowship. This forum, by virtue of its global reach, brings them all together. I noticed a long time ago that this forum has a larger number of traditionalists than you might find in your typical Open Discussion meeting in many areas.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

apologies if I contributed to a topic drift - that was not my intent.
lets bring the focus back to Daphne, guys

D
Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I don't do church or hallelujahs either and did do AA and my group didn't sound like that or I would have never returned. I use just SR now but for my getting sober and first three months AA was terrific. I use an eclectic mix of a little of this and some of that.

Daphne, I hope that you do make it this time. I vaguely remember you but not being difficult. However if part of that was the old "I won't do that" and "won't try that" and "can't do this because" type of person, well i have been there, done that.

I was absolutely clinging to my won't and can't list and that list was always one item longer than the list of how I could quit.

I know how it feels. Like a security blanket thing. All those things we won't do to quit because of fear, embarrassment, all kinds of reasons we could not do things that we hadn't tried to do before when we failed. Hey what is the worst thing that could happen if you attended an AA meeting? Got into rehab? Got into counseling? Found a local SMART group and attended their meetings too?

You see I had a lot of conditions that I said were my preferences but were actually my fears and my excuses. For some AA is a lifelong thing. I used AA for the local face to face support twice a week with the one group I was comfortable with. I didn't do the steps or get a sponsor. I didn't really need to because I was very high functioning. Even my SH said all I needed to do was moderate and tried to talk me out of hospital detox at first. And she saw me putting scotch in my coffee first thing every morning.

I stopped all my other support groups and AA and counseling etc. right at the three month point, and now am just here.

See I did all available and stopped what I outgrew. I took what I could use, and left the rest.

So Daphne what are you going to do differently this time?

Once again, welcome back.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
...I had a lot of conditions that I said were my preferences but were actually my fears and my excuses...
Man, reading stuff like this is exactly what keeps me coming back to this forum. Itchy, so many people could stand to take a few moments, lean back, and reflect on the meaning behind this sentence.

Well said.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Why not decide not to drink ever again and try harder than ever before? Or see your Doctor for what he/she may perscribe? Or make a few appointments with a hypnotist? A quick internet search will give you an almost endless list of other-than-AA options.

It appears you've got a world of choices to check out long before even beginning to worry about how bad a fit AA would be for you, if you should ever at some future point get sober there. The people you'd have met by going now will still be there for you should that time come somewhere down the road, and they'll be even more capable to help you then than they would be now, having what is likely to be many years more experience enabling them to transmit an even stronger solution, should you ever need that.

You just can't lose.