Notices

New to this

Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

Hi all,

I just had the worst weekend of my life. I went out with my (now ex) boyfriend to drink and hang out with some of his friends. By the end of the night, I had gotten black-out drunk. I don't remember leaving the bar, and I certainly don't remember throwing up all over his bed. I was verbally abusive and just all-around awful to him. So he broke up with me.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened with us. Last year at a football party he and another friend had a rush me to the emergency room due to alcohol poisoning. I had a BAC of .33 and could very well have died. He watched the doctors cut the clothes off of me and give me IV fluids and a catheter. Obviously a traumatic experience for both of us. After this episode, he told me that if something like this happened again, our relationship would be over. He also recommended counseling, which I considered briefly, but obviously didn't pursue.

So, once I woke up the morning after the incident this weekend, he broke it off with me. I asked him if he'd go to an AA meeting with me, and he said ok. His dad is an alcoholic (and has been sober for years), so he's been to meetings before. I plan on going to one tonight or tomorrow night. Hopefully he'll attend with me.

Needless to say, I am absolutely devastated. We had been together for 3 years, and it was the best relationship I have ever had. I admitted to having a serious problem when he confronted me about what happened (unlike last time, when I kind of blew it off). I called in sick to work today (weeping at my desk every 5 minutes isn't the best look) and took some time to read about addiction and how to deal with it.

I'm hoping my relationship can be salvaged, I really am in love with this person, and I hate myself for hurting him so badly.

Thanks for listening
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Flutternutter))) - welcome to SR!! This site has been a huge part of my recovery. It's nice having someone here who "gets" us 24/7, but glad you are going to meetings, too. Early recovery is tough, but a lot more do-able when we have other recovering addicts/alcoholics to help us through it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and that you know you have to stop drinking. There is lots of great support here.

Try to focus on yourself and your recovery because that will take a lot of energy right now. Time will tell whether or not your relationship works out, but the best thing you can do is to stay sober.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Flutter!

Not much good came from my drinking either. I'm really glad you decided to reach out today. None of us can do this on our own.

Keep reading/posting! We know what it's like......
Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome fluffernutter

I agree with Anna - focus in you and your recovery for now - it's going to take a lot of commitment and effort.

Time will tell if you guys get back together - but it sounds like you'll have no chance if you don't give sobriety a go...

D
Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Fluffernutter,

I can sympathize. I have been verbally abusive to my husband during my drinking episodes and it just adds to the regret. I do know the best thing I can do for both of us is to focus on getting myself better now.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting.. it takes ALOT of courage... I agree with what everyone else has said... it is time to focus in on you and your relationship with drinking and not the BF even though that isn't the easiest thing to do. Best of luck to you!