Notices

I used to think alcoholics were just weak people

Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Proud of you! You can do it!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This thread was started 2 Mondays ago. Still sober (2 weeks) and feeling great both physically and mentally. I thought quitting would mess with my endorphin levels, and it did - I'm feeling pretty happy and optimistic about everything. And that's nothing to complain about! Thanks SR!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 2 weeks mwstylee

D
Old 12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
FNW
seeking acceptance

Keep it up!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I understand what you're saying. I thought my drinking was a lack of willpower thing, but I am extremely disciplined in other areas of my life (workout religiously, etc). My discipline falls apart with one glass. It's not something I can fix through just my determination. I need support, just like you do. I know you can do it!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Well done, mwstylee!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good on you!

I attribute the following to someone's signature line on this forum. . .

"I sometimes think about having a glass of wine at dinner. Then I remember I have plans for Christmas." -Robert Downey Jr.

Reminds me we are one drink away from making a mess of things. You are on a good path. Enjoy your holidays.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good for you mw
I'm on Day 5, I can't wait till I have 2 weeks, and more.

Take care!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

While going through the hell of withdrawal, it's easy to "quit for real", but when the effects start to wear off, you find yourself forgetting about the pain and suffering really quickly.

My girlfriend asked me one time as I was throwing up and shaking, "So did you learn your lesson this time?" My inevitable answer to this was "yeah yeah definitely".

After pondering that for a while, I changed my mind

No, I didn't learn my lesson, and I'll do it again in a second if I'm not careful.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Seared makes a worthwhile point to take in. You felt bad and some guilt from your unresponsiveness to your nephew and decided to make another ironclad decision to stop.

You might look over the new posts from people and examine the number that are coming back as newcomers after some days/weeks/months/years.

You'll see a pattern of those who had quit because they felt bad, were feeling guilty over something, or had made another ironclad decision earlier.

So far you are following that path, one that most often deadends. Doing something different than what usually fails is called for. Deciding what that will be and taking that course is the next best step from here.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
Seared makes a worthwhile point to take in. You felt bad and some guilt from your unresponsiveness to your nephew and decided to make another ironclad decision to stop.

You might look over the new posts from people and examine the number that are coming back as newcomers after some days/weeks/months/years.

You'll see a pattern of those who had quit because they felt bad, were feeling guilty over something, or had made another ironclad decision earlier.

So far you are following that path, one that most often deadends. Doing something different than what usually fails is called for. Deciding what that will be and taking that course is the next best step from here.
Thanks for that post langkah. It did turn a switch on in my head that just screamed to do something different than the last ___ times I've told myself I quit. To be fair, those attempts never lasted more than a couple days. Usually less than 24 hours. I have forced myself to go to AA...one meeting a week, 3 times total so far. I don't talk much there yet but I really do feel the fellowship is helping me stay sober. Another different aspect about "this" time is that I'm serious about it. No more kidding myself.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm on about day 30 since posting this thread. I'm honestly surprised that I've made it this far. My next goal is to go all of 2012 without drinking. A lot of positive things have happened in the past month since quitting drinking, and they are really big motivators for me to remain sober. I haven't called in sick, called in late, or taken a personal day from work at all. In the past, I would do one of those 3 things at least once a week.

I've been spending a lot more time with my family which is awesome. I got my nephew a PS3 for xmas, and I got to stay up late playing it with him all day Sunday. I'm 100% sure old drunk-me would've gave him some cash and ran home to get wasted....because that's what I've done every year in the past.

I've still been kind of keeping to myself and seeing family a few times a week, and avoiding my drinking friends a lot. I haven't made much of an effort to find new sober friends. But everything else is keeping me pretty busy, so no complaints so far.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 30 days

D
Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Wow you get alot of love,

Keep on the right side of sobereity and more will be reveiled.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Mwstylee,

That is tremendous news. What a good uncle, I bet in years to come he remembers that day. It is great to hear about the positives in your life and that you can see the positive changes yourself and it is not all hearsay, that a sober life is a better life.

CaiHong