Notices

New Alcoholic on the scene!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

24 Days

Still going strong at 24 days.

Went to see the doctor last week and told him how much I was drinking and that I had quit, he seemed quite shocked on the amount and suggested I have a full blood test, liver, kidneys, diabetes and Im sure quite a few other things.

Today was the day of the results, I've been quite paranoid expecting the worse. The doctor rang me about 30 minutes ago and said it was all looking good.:bounce

He did say my kidneys are functioning at 75% and they should be at 90% but nothing to worry about as the test can wrong?? he suggested I have another test at the end of January.

I few years ago I would have thought that was a reason to keep on drinking but now I see it as a second chance...I want to live.

On another note a acquaintance of mine died today he was an alcoholic a little bit older than me. I don't know the full details but he was hospitalised a few weeks ago due to his kidneys failing, I heard he was improving but something happened...I do know his life support was turned off today.

It makes me more determined than ever.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Burt...24 days..excellent. You must feel relief with the results!
Sorry to hear about your acquaintance. Scary what alcohol can do. It is not too late for you! Soon it will be 30 days!

Jim
Old 12-22-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Burt.

D
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

One year free from drink!!!

Hello everybody....this could be a long post.

In about one week I will have been free from the evil drink for one year.... didn't think I would ever be saying that!

It been a journey, one that will never end and to say life changing would be an understatement. One of the many things I have learned about myself is that I'm an Addict (capital A) not just for drink but for everything, regardless of it being a pack of biscuits, drugs or alcohol , if its there I will take and take until its all gone. It just happens that alcohol was my favorite.

Good and bad of not drinking?

The good....my relationship with my wife, children and family is now amazing, we have a future. I've lost over 30 pounds in weight, I exercise a lot and look and feel good (getting told that all the time is one of the best motivations) My work life has improved, been taken on full time by the company I used to freelance for and have been recently promoted and I have ambition, real ambition for the first time. I could go on all day about the good stuff.

The bad....nothing!

I will always be an addict but I focus now on only being addicted to good things.

A few things that helped me...

Reading posts on this forum for the first few months
My family and friends.
Allan Carr (not the comedian)
Meditation
Russell Brand (believe it or not)

Not sure what happened on that day last year when I took my last drink, I had no plan, I just did it.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yesterday, today and tomorrow

There are two days in every week we should not worry about, two days that should be kept free from fear and apprehension.
One is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.
Yesterday has passed, forever beyond our control. All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed. Nor can we erase a single word we've said - yesterday is gone.
The other day we shouldn't worry about is tomorrow, with its possible adversities,
Its burdens, its large promise and poor performance.
Tomorrow is beyond our control.
Tomorrow's sun will rise either in splendour or behind a mask of clouds but it will rise. And until it does,we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.
This leaves only one day - today. Any person can fight the battles of just one day. It is only when we add the burdens of yesterday and tomorrow that we break down.
It is not the experience of today that drives people mad - it is the remorse of bitterness for something that happened yesterday, and the dread of what tomorrow may bring.
Let us, therefore, live one day at a time!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

That is a great achievment. On day 4 myself, after a good start of almost 60 days, a weeks binge, then 40 days or so, two days binge, then a week, one day drinking, now four days and strong.
I have decided I will never drink again and I will not change my mind. Copied from the secular forum.
You are a great example to all of us. I hope you continue to post for a while and give advice to those who ask for it.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Wow! Congratulations, Burt. I started reading your earlier posts thinking that it was recently that you quit. What I nice surprise to read that your almost at your ONE year anniversary! How awesome does that feel? I am on day 50 and really feel inspired by your accomplishment. Thank you for sharing!