Notices

All over the place

Old 11-27-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All over the place

Sometimes I feel so strong and like this is great and I'm doing the right thing and at other times (like tonight) I feel like I'm lost. I hate these feelings - I just want to be happy I stopped drinking but I'm just not sure where I belong.

That sounds stupid - I belong here with my family - I know that - just feel a little - maybe floating at sea.

Anyone else feeling this way. A bit lost?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tigger,

I totally feel what you are saying. I all of a sudden have so much more time on my hands....I am not passed out anymore at night. I am also feeling emotions I have not felt in so long. This makes me feel all off centered.

My normal was always mutted by alcohol...now sometimes sober-normal just feels weird.

I LOVE being sober but it does not feel 'normal' to me all the time yet.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perfectly normal emotion. I go through it all the time. It's the "What am I doing?...add with my life, relationship, work, drinking, friends, family, my fashion sense...or whatever you want to add. Just remember that this too shall pass and go do something fun...anything but drinking and you'll feel better tomorrow. Trust me.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My feelings were all over the map too in early recovery. It smooths out over time. I still have days where I question my purpose in life but no longer feel suicidal over it.

I don't know how long you've been sober but if it's under six months then I'd say this is par for the course. I started feeling quite human at around six months. Give yourself some time. If your feelings don't get 'better', or if they get worse, please see a doctor to rule out any physical causes.:ghug3
Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've seen several post tonight of people riding on a roller coaster of emotions. I can relate.

Explain a little more about the feeling of being lost or not sure where you belong.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

right there with you Tigger. I suppose life has ups and downs whether we self medicate or not...hang in there
Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt lost a lot in early recovery.

I'd drunk for 20 years - I didn't know who sober me was, and there were lot of everyday things situations and emotions I'd never dealt with sober.

People here told me to stick with it cos it would get better - it did

D
Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Explain a little more about the feeling of being lost or not sure where you belong.
Like I'm just so sad. And I have these wonderful 4 kids and a nice house and I don't know who I am. I don't know what I am to them - I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing - like I have so much more time with them and I kind of feel like I'm just staring at them. Like I should be "more" I don't know maybe being more - I feel like I'm just so much less than what I should be.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense - I'm writing it and it doesn't make sense. Sorry.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not feeling sad for myself - but I think maybe i"ll just going to bed and get some sleep - maybe I'm just tired. Been a long weekend - getting back to work should make things feel normal again.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing - like I have so much more time with them and I kind of feel like I'm just staring at them".

I feel like "normal" sober life can seem quite boring and we seem to have so much more time now...drinking gave an excitement to everything..from writing christmas cards to downloading music to cleaning the house (for me anyway). I've had to find other things to so call "excite" me or fill my time. I don't have children so I go to the spa or join new clubs; this helps me learn more about who I am and what I enjoy. Maybe you can plan cool trips with the kids on weekends, like museums or shows? I don't know if that's what you meant by your last response , hopefully I helped you somewhat
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i feel the same
Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tigger, I absolutely know what you mean. It's only 6 days for me, but I am realizing that drinking did keep everything exciting, and pushed away feelings of not being good enough, or not doing enough. At this moment, I feel ok, but I had many, many times over the past 6 days where I just didn't know what to do with myself or even what I SHOULD be doing. It seems like everyday sober is a new experience, some good and some bad, but we can learn from that bad and enjoy the good. I have new feelings and thoughts popping up all over the place...constantly changing. It's crazy.
This too shall pass, you never know what good feelings tomorrow may bring
Old 11-27-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tigger, i have followed you on several theeadsand I underst how you feel. I am feeling lost too. I should be so thankfully for all I have yet I have been so unhappy for so,long that it has affect my relationships with my hubby and kids. I keep asking myself why am I like this? I have all the pieces to a great life. Yet I am so pissed off right now becuase can't have a stupid drink. I just want to feel normal. But I am afraid of what normal is. This is the hardest part of the day for me. I don't know what to do with myself. I can't sleep, I can't sit still. I can barely hold it together in front of the kids. Sorry for the rambling. It all got away from me there for a minute.
Keep coming back to post and read. It seems to help.