Notices

Feelings?

Old 11-27-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feelings?

Yikes!

I have been sober for 27 days now AND I got through Thanksgiving sober! Yeah!!! There were some tough moments but I did it!

Did anyone else have problems figuring out if what they were feeling were real emotions or just your imagination in early sobriety? I now realize that one thing I drank for was to stuff down any negative emotion and now I am feeling EVERYTHING. It is downright scary and I keep fighting off panic attacks, feelings of dread, etc.

Right now I swear my boyfriend is really pissed at me but he says he is not. I don't belive him. Am I imagining this? In my heart I think he is angry about an issue we had earlier in the weekend and is being passive/aggressive, but who knows....maybe I am making everything up in my head like he says.

I guess I am afraid to put my foot down and tell him to knock it off becasue I have buried my feelings so long in booze and pot that I just don't trust what I am feeling yet. I hope with time I will be able to trust my inner voice again.

Well, thanks for listening to my rant!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Pommy))) - oh yeah, I was on a rollercoaster of emotions for quite a while. Hard to say if you're imagining things, or just learning how to deal with the emotions we've stuffed down for a long time.

The good news is, it does get better, the longer we are in recovery. I don't know how long you were drinking, but for me..I was using something to stuff down emotions for decades, so it took a while before I could realize that feelings are just that - good, bad, whatever. I truly thought they were going to KILL me, at first...sigh. They didn't

Congrats on 27 days!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-27-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you're saying..the first 2 weeks ( I'm a month in now) I cried EVERY DAY. I was numbing so many hurts by drinking and grieved losses I suffered once I became sober. I feel more evened out now and i'm sure it only gets better. I think out extra sensitivity just means we are starting to feel again - in a healthy way
Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Yeah my emotions were pretty rocky in the beginning. Also I thought and felt (and said) some stuff that was purely the result of messed up sobriety emotions and felt embarrassed about it later.

My advice? Keep in mind that "this too shall pass", and try to be careful about what emotions you share with others or act on.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also rode the mental roller coaster early on. But it did get better the longer I was sober. Take good care of yourself: good food, rest, enough water, vitamins - and if you're still feeling 'off' after a few more months then see your doctor.:ghug3
Old 11-27-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it does take some time to get used to the emotions that we've been avoiding for so many years.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I am really glad I have held my tongue today and not blasted him like I wanted! I think he is acting badly but not THAT badly. He is man-pouting....irritating, yes but not worth hurting his feelings and/or my loosing my cool. Lord knows I have not always been that easy to live with in the past either! *wink*

@Amy....I started drinking about 25 years ago but didn't get way out of control until the last 10 years or so. The last 4 years were really bad....I was drinking a bottle of vodka a day, every day.....I don't EVER want to go back to that again.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Pommy - I just posted something like this - I can't tell why I'm feeling the way I am and some of it I can't even tell what I'm feeling - I don't like it - I really want it to stop. I like this less then the headaches and cravings.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a while for that emotional rollercoaster to stop too...

even after my emotions levelled out, it still took a little longer for me to learn to know and trust whether what I was feeling was real or not.

You'll get there Pommy - stick with it

D