Notices

Sleep & cravings

Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep & cravings

Hi all...I am at 4 weeks today and very proud of myself but I have noticed some things that are bothering me the past few days. First, sleeping has become an issue for me. After 2 weeks sober I was sleeping so well. But all this week I have had trouble staying asleep. I have come to hate night time (could be because I am lonely) and go to bed at 8-8:30 only to wake up at 12 am, 3 am 4 am etc. Anyone experience sleep interruptions like this? Could it be due to no longer drinking or stress about the night hours which seem so empty? 2nd, I was invited to a wedding last minute that happens to be on new years. I swear it seems that every big drinking buddy I ever had is going to be there. In my new found life, I don't see myself going because there's only one good friend I'd actually want to see but everyone else will be hammered. And if I go I know I'll drink. I just KNOW it. Even if I say I won't, my mind is weak rt now and I will rationalize it. I can see it already. I don't want to spend new years weekend alone either but everyone else has plans. This wedding invite has spiked my cravings big time and I feel disappointed or rather discouraged. I just want to cry today and that sucks because I have been feeling so happy. I appreciate any advice. The voice in my head is telling me "to drink one last time and end 2011" I am pathetic
Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 weeks. I wish I had some magic words to help with the sleeping and the craving but I am only on day 3. Just remember how much those first couple of days sucked. Do you really want to start over? 4 weeks seems like an eternity to me. I have never made it past day 7. You have made it this far so you have shown strength. Don't give up now. See if that one friend wants to ditch the wedding with you and go do something, anything else. Send a nice gift and card to wish the couple well.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just about at 4 weeks and this past week was the first time I had difficulty getting to sleep - the first 2 weeks I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open.

As for the wedding if you're that sure you're going to drink and you don't want to take something that won't let you (like Antabuse) then I wouldn't go. But I really don't want to go back to drinking. I'm so scared of people's posts that once you stop for a bit if you go back you go back drinking more and it's harder to quit. It's been hard enough this time.

Good luck and I hear the sleeping patterns go back to normal and maybe you'll get really "sick" and not be able to attend the wedding. Horrible flus going around you know
Old 11-27-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had 5 months sober and relapsed at a wedding. At 4 weeks with drinking buddies around all I can say is I would not go if it was me. I have told myself I am going to get at least a year before I try anything like that again.

Everyone's sobriety is different though so maybe you can do it. If you go make sure you have a plan and a quick exit if the cravings get too bad.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tigger41 View Post
Good luck and I hear the sleeping patterns go back to normal and maybe you'll get really "sick" and not be able to attend the wedding. Horrible flus going around you know
Haha ya, Horrible flu's . I know I would be sick for this one.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you feel unsteady then you should not go. It is the benevolent God of Drunks telling you "Not a good idea." If you are looking for a rationalization for relapse, a wedding is perfect. Best of luck my friend.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry you're having sleeping trouble Qiutforme - if you're concerned maybe you can speak with your Dr?

Here are some common sense tips that might help too:
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

As for the wedding, if you're already feeling like you drinking there is a forgone conclusion - I wouldn't go.

You have over a month to think of something fun and sober to do for NYE

D
Old 11-27-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a Christmas party that my husband and I go to each year that I already know I am going to be "sick" and miss.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

@ Tigger, I really don't want to go back to drinking...it was "too easy" for me all this time and I guess I was bound to hit some rough patches. I also was just thinking while reading all your responses that my insomnia may be related to a surgery I have coming up that I am nervous about. Perhaps subconciously I am just a bit more anxious about it then I thought haha DEE, I will definitely check out that link right now, thanks It will actually be easy for me to "skip" this wedding as I was invited by a friend who's other date bailed because they broke up. The person getting married is someone from high school but won't even notice if I am not there haha So this is all just my addict mind looking for a reason to give in. I am sure I could find something to do for new years...the wedding is in my home state (not where I live now) so if I was willing to travel for that guess I could travel to see a sober or "supportive" friend. Thanks so much for all your advice and responses. Even if I did spend NYE alone, I would regret that less than waking up in a hotel room far from home, still in my evening attire unsure of what happened the night before, heart and head pounding with anxiety (shudder)
Old 11-27-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My sleep pattersn were bad also when I stopped drinking. My mind had to get used to being tired and staying asleep for 8 hours. I also had some terrible nightmares for a while, but that passed thankfully. It's just a matter of time.

Like you, I also had a wedding to go to and I knew there would be drinking involved. Laughter is the best medicine. I called my friend Mitch from rehab and he told me:
"When I get married I'm going to have an 8 hour ceremony with no booze. That way everyone will be miserable."
I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.