Notices

scared

Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared

Hi all,

Stumbled across this site while looking for information on withdrawal symptoms. I don't really know what I hope to get out of posting here, just need to get everything off my chest!
Have been a heavy drinker for a few years and I've just had enough of feeling physically rubbish. I'm trying to stop, but I feel even worse! Constantly feel sick, shaky, lack of energy and motivation, I feel like I'm in my own world! The thing I am struggling with most of all though is a constant feeling of dread, worry, anxiety. I'm so scared something awful is going to happen, I work myself up so much that sometimes I convince myself I'm going to die. I'm so ashamed of myself, I've seen what its done to someone close to me and I've been stupid enough to go down the same path. This is my first experience of withdrawing I just want it to go away so I can start being me again. Sorry for the waffling on, but have no one to talk to
Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

you depressed your body for a long time, now you aren't. see a doctor for a general check up. get to the ER if you feel worse.

best wishes on staying stopped
Old 11-27-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found us. Many people here have great advice
Old 11-27-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to remember that alcoholism is a disease and not a character defect. It's a disease that robs us of our self-worth.

I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking. Have you talked to your dr about quitting, because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I struggle with what you are experiencing on a daily basis, Pinky. Trust me, it's not easy, but it does get better. Get through this one day, water, some tea if you like it, soup, salad, sleep, watch tv. I have to go through each 15 minutes sometimes and each one I make it through I think how much my body is thanking me. I am not one to give advice, I still have not shaken this beast. I was so hung over on Thanksgiving morning, I wanted to cancel, but I didn't, I sucked it up, shaky, sick, tired, confused and had a glass of wine with dinner, after I was feeling normal and okay...know what? I drank the whole bottle and spent the next morning in full blown anxiety that finally passed around noon. I had a great Saturday, lots of fun, I actually could drive myself somewhere and do things sober. Yesterday I got my nails done, got a pedicure, came home and put up the outside Christmas lights and opened a beer at 3pm. I drank until 10:30pm and was so drunk, I fell getting up off of the toilet and hit my foot against the wall. This morning I can hardly walk on it and I am so ashamed of myself. I was doing so well and I thought I could just have one. I'm 43 and never drank much when I was younger...it started later in my marriage, then more when I went through a divorce and although my desire is SOOOO strong to quit, the power that alcohol has over me is stronger. I work daily and pray that I will gain control again. I NEED to REMEMBER that when I struggle, to come on here. Even if it only gets me through 15 minutes, that's 15 minutes I went without a drink. I can't promise I won't drink today, I can only promise I can try for those precious 15 minutes! Hang in there. with love, Tammy
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, pinky -

Glad you've joined us and want to get sober!

We can't give anyone medical advice, but the things you mentioned are pretty typical of withdrawal. (The first two days were the hardest for me - the anxiety went away pretty quickly, while the insomnia and tiredness took a little longer.)

Do you have any "walk-in" clinics where you live? It really is best to get medical help, even if you have to go to the ER. Things really will get better. (HUGS)
Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much for your post tammygirl,
I caved in today, have had 2 beers, which is weaker than what I normally drink, and is probably why I don't feel much better. Keep battling with the voice in my head that's telling me to keep drinking more til I feel 'normal' again. I get so panicky that something awful will happen if I don't have a drink, makes me think maybe its easier to stay this way rather than quit. I know its the wrong attitude though. I work everyday too and I just can't do it, I need it to even function now, also feel bad about taking time off work to try, I've been off so much!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pinky, I've done the same thing. I have actually called 911 to go to the ER with what I thought was severe anxiety, and it was, but it was alcohol based. They kept me most of the day, detoxed me, gave me ativan to calm the shakes and anxiety and a good talking to and sent me home. I went to work the next day and started again when I got home, but way less than normal. I would do this again and again, instead of 18 beers, I would only have 10, instead of 10 I would have 6 and I would get to feeling alot better and go off the deep end again... I have only made it to 8 days without any drink at all. I'm being completely honest when I tell you, I struggle with this daily. Football is on at 1pm and I normally have a TON of beer watching it...I'm a JETS fan so this is a big game for me since I live close to Buffalo and they are playing the Buffalo Bills. GO JETS.. Hang in there. Stay on here and keep posting...none of us are here to judge you, only to offer support. We may not all agree on what path to take or how to get through your struggle, but the one thing we have in common is support. We are all different in how we will handle our addiction and struggle, the love and support will help. I wait for the day when I can say I have been 1 month....and I never give up on that thought.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Pinky,

I don't know how many posts to this forum that you have read, but keep reading. You will find a lot of posts from people going through withdrawal...and then later read about how much better they feel in a week. You can do it. You just really have to want to.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. :ghug3 Sleep will get better and cravings will go away, as long as you stay sober. Each time you give in, you start all over. And I found that relapsing over and over made the w/d much worse. Please start over and dont drink this time. The only way out is through. You've got to get yourself detoxed so you can start to heal.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm working myself up a treat! Feeling rough still, was about to have another few swigs of beer but came on here instead. Having more symptoms now.. Headache, get a really weird feeling now and then of being hot, but inside my body (if that makes sense). Also a tingling/ numb sensation throughout my body which is freaking me out. I can't find the courage to go see a doctor or anybody, I don't want anyone to know I just am so impatient for these feelings to go. I have to force myself to go to work tomorrow, but I know I wont be able to without a drink in the morning. Why have I done this to myself?!!! I know everyone is different but when will the worst of it be out the way? I feel awful, and I've still even had 2 drinks today.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Pinky

Really, the best thing you can do is see a Dr - I know it's embarrassing and scary, but it's not half as scary as what I went through in my own unassisted detox - thats not to say you will have problems - but why risk it? Be safe

Drinking to function just keeps you in the cycle - wouldn't you like to break that cycle - once and forever?

D