Notices

Back to Day 1 again.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to Day 1 again.

I basically ruined Thanksgiving for my girlfriend and me. Did the same thing earlier in the year with my birthday.

Spent all day today and last night throwing up from withdrawal. When I go on binges, I can never seem to stop until I'm literally too sick to drink anymore.

I think I need to make the following changes.

1. Get off my high horse. I'm not the expert here, I'm the beginner.

2. Start actually "doing the work". I was pretty much doing the least to get people off my back, but didn't quite realize it. I was thinking I was doing it for me, but my girlfriend was finding these sites, buying the books and reading, etc. I wasn't doing enough.

3. Priorities. She listed them for me: it's Alcohol first, then my friends, then Reddit, and finally her. Not a great system.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Start actually "doing the work".
This was the big one for me - I was reading about the work, or thinking about it, or doing a lot of talking about it....

but I wasn't actually doing the work I needed to do to keep me sober....the only thing I was really working on was drinking.

D
Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck, Seared. It seems you are ready to take the next, difficult steps. I'll be pulling for you!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Seared View Post
1. Get off my high horse. I'm not the expert here, I'm the beginner.
I think a big dose of humility will help you a lot in your early sobriety. That is one thing that I'm always having to remind myself. Pride is so easy to succumb to.

I wish you the best.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

surrender, humility and gratitude help. There has to be an antidote to resentment and entitlement in the mix.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Seared, I am so proud of you. Making that leap from "how do I make this issue go away" to "how do I make my life better" is massive. Good for you for realizing what you need to do and for coming to SR to talk about it. Good job.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your admission. Humbling yourself is a big step. I realized i needed to stay sober after leaving my kids at home and driving drunk to get more alcohol (wasn't caught, thank god) then not remembering anything about the night before, then opening a bottle of wine on Thanksgiving and finishing it myself. (had separate bottle for guests) my guests only had one or two.
Now I know I will NEVER be able to drink normally. I had to admitt I could not do it on my own. (tried many times to stop or cut back). I told my hubby. It is HUGE that your girlfriend has looked into this stuff. I have been told it gets better. I am trying to hold on to that. You should too.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Some very good advice in this thread for you (and me) to learn from..
Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wishing you peace and strength in your new frame of mind. You CAN do this, you know.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seared, it does take a lot of work, and a lot of motivation to stop drinking, but you can do it.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noknewme;
It is HUGE that your girlfriend has looked into this stuff.
I feel like half the problem WAS that she did it and not me. She's pretty much been doing everything, while I'd reluctantly ne going along with it.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As someone who has relapsed too many times now, I can tell you that it takes WAY more work than I ever thought it would. You really have to want it bad because it is a daunting task, but, no where close to insurmountable.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

seared I hope that you can find that small sliver of willingness. Sounds simple, but I was not willing for 30 years. ( tried many times to get sober) What is willingness to you? For me, I found it had to be everything or I had nothing. After 6 months sober I find it to still be the same.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

lushly: I agree with you and have been where you are, except that it took me more than 30 years. I always thought I was in recovery (or had recovered!) but I was still playing games. It's really weird how one can feel that recovery is underway when the reality is that the situation has yet to come to a head so that a beginning can be made. It's that first step. All the other steps are easy compared with that first step. After 23 years of sobriety I still can't explain why all of a sudden I began to recover after so many many years of thinking I was coping with this illness and in reality I was just kidding myself.

W.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Humility was a big one for me. Accepting that my drinking was damaging relationships that I held dear and that I had no control over that drinking was what allowed me to commit to Day 1.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 4

Can finally eat normally again. Feeling better, and went to my first recovery class since drinking. They don't kick people out for drinking, as long as you want to get better.

...which is good, because otherwise I would have just told them I hadn't drank at all over the holidays, and who would that be helping?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Going to meetings worked for me.

12 and a half years.....still clean and sober today.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 5

Shameless self-bump. Feeling better. Payed some bills, and my rent, and balanced the checkbooks... for now.

Lots of cleaning to do... my place is a mess. Where to start?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

pick a corner

Congrats on 5 days Seared
D
Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Seared,

Congratulations on 5 days!!!! Keep reading and let us know how you are doing. Sounds like you have a great girlfriend, but, yeah, the buck stops with you. Stay strong!