Notices

8 months....

Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congratulations Debsam! I love to see the "veterans" reach their various milestones. It's really an inspiration to us "newbies" (50 days)! If I can ask you a favor, could you answer a question? In your eight months of sobriety, what would you say is the most important or helpful thing that has gotten you to the 8 month mark? I know this may not be an easy question, so if you don't (or can't) answer, that's totally fine. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

congrats...7
Old 11-27-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Imperfect being, but trying

Nice job !
Old 11-27-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Betterlife, I'll try my best to kind of list some things that were key for me, and still are.

First, I asked for help - I removed my ego, my pride and asked for help.
Now, I'm really good at asking for help - THERE IS NO SHAME in THAT.

I had a "this is it, I'm done" moment during my last withdrawl. The mental and physical angish of that time is with me today, and I keep it with me as a reminder. I will take myself there in my mind (even for a moment)...remembering the non-stop vomiting, the anxiety, the pure and utter dread of not wanting it to be another day. And then I put that thought aside and I move on with gratitude for what's in front of me, whatever that may be.

When you're feeling good - be especially weary of this because that's when that Alcoholic Devil Voice starts singing the high notes and wants back in like 'IT" owns you, tries to convince you that "you're fine now". Causes you very quickly to have a selective memory about the HELL you climbed back out of. This is AVRT (Alcoholic Voice Recognition) although I didn't initially know that, that's what I was doing. Works really well for me.

I never go into a situation, unprepared. In a nutshell, escape plan if it gets too much. I think it's really crucial to recognize what you're capable of and stick to it. I'm selfish about this - if I feel anything compromises my sobriety...I don't do it. Having said that, getting through challenges also strengthens your resolve in staying sober - social gatherings have been a big one for me...but you get to a point in your recovery where you need those challenges too - I've had a few bigs ones and made it through. It all depends on the stage you're at.

Plain and simply love being sober. I know you have probably read this before, but you really do have to want to be sober more than you want to drink and you have to be willing to do ANYTHING to achieve sobriety. Open mind. I still take it all in, and keep what I think will enhance my recovery and learning.

I read...a lot!

Resumed my passion for cooking.

Remembering that "me being well", is the best gift I give to my family & friends, who lost me for a while. No apology compares to the gift of you being well.

Collecting Inspirational Quotes - I started this when I first came to SR. I copy and paste things that inspire me and I read through them. A lot of the quotes are from posters on SR I've lost count of how many pages I have now. It's a simple thing...but you can never have enough wisdom around you.

SR!!!!! This site has given me soooo much. I only found it in August. Boy, was I peeved that I didn't stumble across it sooner SR is a huge part of my recovery.

Give back ~ sometimes I wish I could jump into the computer and literally hug some of the posters, because I know how hard this can be. So, trying to help others with even simple words, stregthens my recovery.

I'm sure I could think of more. I hope this is what you were looking for Betterlife. Feel free to private message me anytime.

Congrats on your 50 days.

Best,
Deb
Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you debsam, you are an inspiration to me and many others!

All the best,

SD
Old 11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

congrats!! that is so awesome
Old 11-27-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That is perfect Deb, and some great advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to think it through and post your thoughts. My favorite and most beneficial part of this site is learning from the experiences of others. I've been using AVRT and it is working well. I can definitely relate to "the voice" when you are feeling good. That voice tripped me up last time I tried to quit. You know how it goes, "you've gone this long, you can easily just drink a couple of drinks on social occasions" Then next thing you know you are back to the heavy drinking that made you want/need to quit in the first place. Good idea about saving some of the noteworthy quotes, I may do that as well. Thanks again and best of luck in your continued sobriety!!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!