Notices

Why did I just buy a bottle of wine?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good work, jenners!

It's true that your sobriety is your business it's your decision who you want to share it with, but there is quite a lot of power in verbalizing your desire to quit to someone else.

Stay strong!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Way to go Jenners!!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I was glad of the outcome of this thread. Good job.

I drank for 30 years and tried to stop for 30 years -no one said it would be easy. The last time I quit it was for good. I had 4 kids and know all about the relief drinking. I also had a husband at that time that drove truck and was gone all week every other week so I know about the temptation & excuses.
One thing I found THIS time was that I changed my habits. In early revovery I changed my thinking upon even entering a store that has booze. Don't go to that section!
Oh sure, I've been seen walking up the booze aisle smelling the labels but I know what would happen if that booze hitched a ride home with me. Like another said, play the tape forward. That truly helped me to stay focused on my goal.

I was so glad to hear you gave the booze away...having booze in the house is just a bad thing when you're quitting. Just an aweful temptation. You would have drank it and felt very badly about yourself. ((HUG))
Old 11-27-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Dump it out. You say it is a waste. YOU are worth way more than that wine. Once it is gone you won't have to wonder if you are going to drink it. Good luck to you!!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good for you Jenners!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Support found from fellow recovery followers
is pretty awesome. Never do you have to travel
this recovery journey on ur own.

Stay strong and honest in all ur affairs.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Congratulations Jenners!
I have found (in my long 6 day journey!) that playing the tape til the end is really helpful during those cravings. The other day I was sooo close, and I kept thinking..where will this get Me? How will I feel tomorrow? Think of all you want in life, all that alcohol is keeping you from having..drinking now will only prolong your goals, your dreams. Talk like that got me through it. And believe me, I cried, I was MAD that I have to struggle over something like this.
Also, I know how my kids are so used to me buying wine and beer. I would always say something interesting when I grab it hoping to distract them so they wouldn't see me put in the cart- duh! And thinking of things we "need" as an excuse to go the store? Constantly! I have bought more crap we don't "need" just so I could go buy alcohol its ridiculous.
Anyway, I know how hard this is, but keep taking the comfort and advice you get from SR and it will get better and better, and easier!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jenners View Post
It has been tough at times, and I miss it, but I am enjoying being sober.
Do whatever it takes to stay sober, work your recovery, and those "yearnings" for alcohol will go away.