Notices

Why did I just buy a bottle of wine?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's ultimately your choice. If you are alone with your kids it's not advisable for an alcoholic to drink. Your daughter is learning something from you...... You know what will happen if you drink, if you have to experience it again there is a reason but I hope you will grt rid of it too, you are so worth it.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Jenners, I know exactly how you are feeling. I am from Ottawa and I know that routine of picking up some wine with the groceries. And I know that game of trying to think of groceries to get so I can have a reason to get wine. And when I had my last night of drinking last Saturday I threw out everything EXCEPT one bottle - I knew why. I needed the security of that last one. Just in case.

It needed to go. This can't be done halfway. and that $10 is not a waste. It is an investment in your sobriety. You deserve it. Just throw it out. You'll be glad you did.

Hugs.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Here in Sober Recovery you have many
sharing their own experiences, strengths
and hopes with you to help you when the
urge to drink is calling you.

Im not familiar with your story, but did
you come here first before you went to
the store to allow others to give you some
strength to avoid buying alcohol.

Some have come here saying they needed
to run to the store for the family but were
scared to go because the temptation would
be too strong for them.

Suggestions flooded their post guiding them
and giving them suggestions as to what to
do out of concern and helpfulness.

Suggestions to not go alone but wait for
their spouse to go with and many other
helpful suggestions.

In early recovery our emotions and thoughts
are all over the place just as it is with you.
Going to the store with a plan in place could
have helped you avoid getting the alcohol.

I would have had my daughter know that im
in recovery and alcohol is poison explaining
what it does to me when I drink. With her by
my side communicating the dangers of drinking
she would have been there as my support avoiding
alcohol.

I could have had someone on the phone with
me walking with me as i ran in to get what was
on my list and nothing more, all the way till i
got in my car and began driving home.

Not allowing myself to be put in a situation
that alcohol thoughts would get the best of
me.

I often heard that if someone wants to drink
or has ideas that one day they will drink again,
that they will drink. No and ifs or buts about it.

I for myself could never drink sucessfully then
and surely not now. And that was 21 yrs ago
when i began my recovery journey.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You have to decide whether or not you really want to stop drinking. If you do, then you cannot be buying alcohol or keeping it in your home. It's your decision, but right now, you're playing games.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

First of all the fact that your kid asked you "Mom don't you need wine" should speak to you as a parent. Is this truly the example you want to set for her. As others have suggested... get it out of the the house rather you pour it out or take it back to the store. Don't give a F*** what the sales person will think. Think about the example you are attempting to make for your kid.

Also you might want to consider an AA meeting or something along those lines. The drink will take it all from you... and then when you are dry it will take more.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So did you get rid of it or are you drinking it?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here Jenners - but you don't need it.
You know what the right thing is to do.

I hope you make the right choice

D
Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Jenners View Post
I don't want to return it because the sales lady will think I am nuts because I am totally a regular and I don't want to dump it because it seems like such a waste. Am thinking I could hold onto it until the holidays to give away. That sounds stupid, doesn't it
Don't want her to think you're nuts eh? Hmmm, Drinking yourself to death is pretty nuts, returning the booze seems like the ultimate sanity to me.

Dumping it seems like a waste? Well, which is more a waste, to dump it down the sink, or dump it down your throat? It's not called "wasted" for nothing.

Yes, some of those things sound pretty stupid, but we all have to do the mental gymnasticts you are doing right now before we end up on our feet.

hugs, you are doing great
Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Jenners View Post
It's so dumb, I feel safer with it here, even though in reality that is the farthest from the truth.
It's the "ace up my sleeve" syndrome. We want to quit, but we want to keep an ace up our sleeve just in case the cards don't play out the way we hope.,

I played that game a long time with pills. I didn't use them, I just "collected" them, in case...you know, just in case I needed them. Well, the problem is that one day you are going to THINK you need it, and it will be there. If it's not there you have a window of opportunity to think of something else you could do instead, and that window can make a world of difference.

Last edited by Threshold; 11-26-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-26-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and wisdom here everyone. We were headed to my friends to watch the local SC parade and I brought them to her as a gift I was offered a rye and coke upon arrival and declined and just said that I was cutting out booze for a bit. Felt good just to say it. To be honest it wasn't that hard not drink. Well maybe a bit, but I am so happy now that I didn't. Didn't want to let you guys down either.

It's only 9:30 here but the rest of the evening will be easy peasy. I'm definitely making it to Day 4!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I am on day 2 (I have been reading a posting on this site all day. It has been a big help.). It took a lot togive it away and then turn down the drink. I think the only reason I have not caved in and drank the wine left in my house from Thanksgiving is my hubby is here. All I can think about is how much better my soda would be with some whiskey in it.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have never been good at only having one drink, so I know I just need to keep not having any. It has been tough at times, and I miss it, but I am enjoying being sober. So has knowing that I am doing this for my health and my family. And for my own quality of life. I always thought drinking made life more fun, more relaxing. Being present for the moment is what is more enjoyable.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chebella View Post
So did you get rid of it or are you drinking it?
Gone, but not consumed by me!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good work Jenners!

I'm not of the opinion that alcohol in your house is necessarily the worst thing in the world. I've had alcohol in my house since the day I quit almost 6 months ago. My wife was just complaining today about the fridge full of beer in the basement that no one drinks anymore. There's about 7 or 8 bottles of wine in our kitchen no more than 15 feet from where I am sitting right now. My wife has a couple of bottles of vodka above the fridge for the Caesars that she likes to drink - she has one, maybe two about 5 days a week. I was out at a bar on Thursday night with a bunch of buddies after a squash match with a pitcher of beer on the table and an icy cold mug in front of me - there was never a moment where I thought I might drink.

Now, your case is a bit different in that you went out and bought the wine for yourself with the intention of drinking it...if not tonight, then at some point when you gave yourself permission.

I don't view myself as helpless in this addiction. I don't see myself as an alcoholic...at least not in the sense of being afflicted with the disease called alcoholism. I drank alcohol for a long time and I became addicted to it. As such it, it made sense for me to quit drinking alcohol completely so as to avoid feeding the addiction.

If my situation is so perilous that I can't have alcohol in my home then I'm in big trouble and will most certainly find a way to drink.

I don't see having alcohol in the house as testing myself or anything like tha...I just see it as irrelevant to my situation. I don't drink.

I don't mean to hijack this thread and I'm glad that Jenners found a home for her wine but I also think that our recovery has to put us in a place where we can confidently deal with life on our own terms.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just wanted to say I'm so proud of you, Jenners!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Dont scare me like that again!!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It's hard Jenners! I'm glad you decided against it. I'm having a rough day - well weekend and being here has helped so much! I'm glad it did the same for you.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. This board has definitely been a huge part of making the difference for me. The support has been tremendous. And the wisdom immeasurable.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Great job, Jenners. You'll be so happy that you gave it away after you wake up in the morning. You will not, now, have to post a thread saying you are back to day 1 and so upset.