Notices

Breakthrough moment

Old 11-25-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breakthrough moment

My husband has had a bad cold all week so we've been sleeping in separate rooms. We go to work early and he's been in bed by the time i get home. Anyway we haven't seen much of each other. This morning, we got to talking about overeating - he wants to lose some weight. And the behaviours are similar to alcoholism - planning it out, waiting for that moment to feel good, and then guilty afterwards. And I said to him I don't know if you noticed but I haven't had a drink all week. He hadn't noticed - he said "I have hardly seen you." But he was so proud of me. I started to cry. We talked some more and I had to say "I think I am an alcoholic." That was horrible. It's like the first time I really said that - even to myself. And now I am really starting to feel that pain - of naming this demon.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share. I know this is another step. And it's one step at a time.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Well done on your achievements. It sounds like there is a way forward.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done x
Old 11-25-2011, 03:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I guess every small step is still a step. I'm off now. Will check in again today. Have a great day all.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was a big step and if he is supportive of your recovery it will make it easier.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was a big step. It will go a long way if your husband supports you and is proud of you.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is hard to admit, but it is also freeing. Congratulations on having the courage to say it out loud .. and on not drinking all week ... Well done indeed!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Where's my "hug" smiley when I need it?! I think you deserve one.....

It's hard to allow ourselves to break down and admit we don't have it all together. I remember how hard I fought it. Just know that there are so many people out there, wonderful people, who have been affected by alcoholism and/or addiction. We should at least feel a little bit of compassion for ourselves.

Like switchboard said, it can be freeing to tell someone about the pain and struggles we've hidden for so long. Thanks for the post - it really touched me.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. Not drinking this week felt easier than that confession. And so was emotional all day. But he has been supportive. We went to get some Perrier after work together. I am not ready to go the grocery (and wine) store alone. Now I am just exhausted. So my Friday night is just sleeping. Bu better than drinking!

And thanks for being there. This is a great community and I am very grateful for it.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm with them - that's a huge step. I finally told me best friend I'm an alcoholic - actually said the word. Haven't said it to my wife and don't know if I will any time soon - our relationship isn't strong right now and she doesn't even think I have an issue and doesn't know why I'm making such a big deal about it.

So when I read your post - I was like WOW that was huge I wish I was her.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh Lordy Version,

You say its a small step, and I guess to some it may be, but I think you are perfectly amazing!

I have been playing this game for 6 months now, and I cant get over that small step. I think in reality, its a pretty freaking big step!

I wish you the most amount of love and luck, and your hubby too! Keep taking those "small steps" and you will be the most healthy slender sober folks in town!

BIG HUGS!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad that you have a supportive husband. And, yes, if you're exhausted, just sleep, listen to your body and you'll get through this.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

V2,

Your honesty and directness are powerful and a sign of your inner strength.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi version2! I can imagine the relief you felt when you shared that with your husband. I never wanted to say the word 'alcoholic' either. Reading other's stories on SR gave me the courage to say that word - and I began to feel unburdened.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That shows that you are feeling surer of yourself, just one of the many results of not abusing alcohol. That was a major breakthrough!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

What a big deal. Congratulations! A little support means soooooo much!
I think it is great you went to the store together and that you recognize that you are not strong enough to do some things alone.
I have been sober for 3 1/2 years and I could not cook a meal in my kitchen alone for the first 2 months because that is where I hid and did my drinking.
So I made one of the kids help me for the first couple of months.
You can do this. Just one day at a time.