Notices

How to deal with withdrawal?

Old 11-24-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to deal with withdrawal?

Hi all, I am on day one, feeling better than I thought I would. I think I have wanted this for so long, but just wasn't "here" yet and now that I am, it is such a relief. I have no idea what I am in for the next couple days. I have been drinking really heavily, daily for a looooong time. What kind of withdrawal symptoms am I looking at. I was really hoping to try and do this cold turkey. I am seeing my Dr again in about 10 days.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You should see a doctor now. You should at least have someone with you or very close by who knows what you are trying to do.

Detoxing from alcohol can kill you. Detoxing from other drugs can be most unpleasant. Have a plan to get to the ER if you deteriorate. Benzo detox can set in days and weeks after cessation of the drug.

Call a doctor now and ask for advice. Google alcohol detox, or alcohol withdrawal.

Many people detox from booze with unpleasantness, others have the worst experience of their lives.

For God's sake, don't drink. Your determination to quit is the first step, not drinking is the second step, finding a program of recovery that keeps ou sober is the third step.

And then there are the 12 steps of AA, and other recovery programs, that will bring you to a new life.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said on your other thread I recommend you see a Dr initally Jenners.
You might be ok, but detox can be problematic for some of us.

Best to be safe

D
Old 11-24-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Yes, go see a doctor... I didn't but really should have. First week and more so, the first three days were hell. It was hard to imagine ever getting through that but I did. I endured lots of anxiety, depression, feeling of total despair coupled with uncontrollable shaking of the extremities, insomnia, malnutrition, blurred vision, uncoordinated movement, chest, abdominal, muscle and joint pain just to name a few. A doctor will know best how to treat for detox and after the last one, I would never ever attempt such a feat again without medical help (of course I will not ever put myself through that again!!!)

Good luck and you are doing the right thing, just make sure you are safe in your journey as well!