SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Help (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/241879-help.html)

rubycat 11-24-2011 12:04 PM

Help

I really have my fingers crossed that I can break this cycle finally.

Tigger41 11-24-2011 12:29 PM

You can Rubycat - you can!!

IndaMiricale 11-24-2011 12:37 PM

OH Ruby you so can, :grouphug:

Like so many others here and in my groups I didnt try once to get sober till june of this year at 39.

And i was a daily blackout drinker for 20 years. So if I can you can get a plan and work on it. Keep comin back reading and posting also . :)

Look forward to seeing your journey . hug

Dee74 11-24-2011 01:05 PM

I think effort and commitment are the keys. It took me 20 years but I finally learned that I get out of my recovery what I put in :)

You can do this, Ruby :)

D

artsoul 11-24-2011 01:41 PM

Welcome, Rubycat!

You've already taken a step by coming here. It's hard to break the cycle on our own. We need the support and inspiration from others who have walked in our shoes. That's what helped me get sober and I know you can do it, too!:grouphug:

SASA 11-24-2011 03:10 PM

do not give up. If I could do it you can. So what is your plan?

CaiHong 11-24-2011 04:08 PM

Welcome Rubycat,

It is a good start by coming here.

CaiHong

sugarbear1 11-24-2011 07:38 PM

Welcome to SR!

Hevyn 11-24-2011 07:45 PM

No doubt about it, rubycat - the cycle can be broken.

I drank all my adult life. I could never imagine living without it. I kept insisting it could be fun & relaxing if only I could use my willpower to have just one or two. I didn't understand the disease I was dealing with. When I came to SR I learned so much - in addition to making some wonderful friends and feeling comforted by their words. I hope you'll feel the same way, and will keep on reading & posting.

TheTinMan 11-24-2011 08:11 PM

Welcome Ruby! We can do it!

EmeraldRose 11-24-2011 08:34 PM

I started drinking at 17 (or was it 16?) and didn't quit until I was 47. The cycle can be broken if you break it. Make the choice...stick with it and take it one day at a time. We're here for you.

Roadr440 11-24-2011 10:36 PM

Hi Rubycat... Love your name!

My advice would be that if you want to get out of that cycle SOMETHING has to change. The key for me was not to expect mircles, I had to get out there and actually do some stuff in my recovery in order to start feeling better about myself.

The first thing I did was have a honest talk with my doctor and put it all out on the table about my drinking.

There is lots of support here, hope you stick around Rubycat.

Best Wishes...:)

instant 11-25-2011 12:02 AM

recognising it is a cycle and will only get worse is a significant step

rubycat 11-25-2011 02:55 AM

Hi. How did you make the choice? I'm finding it very hard.

IndaMiricale 11-25-2011 08:33 AM

Well ruby,

Even after winding up in the ICU in Jan. 2011, and the doctors telling me that they thought when I arrived I had "wet brain", alcohol deminsia. When I was released that evening I was at the bar drinking shots and beers.

In June I finally just got the idea in my head I want to live, and live without coming to and having to go straight for a couple shots to move and shake through my own skin.
the vomiting everymorning and all ect. That existance is no life and I lived it that bad for the last 10 years.

You can do this , for YOU which in turn will be a beautiful return for your children. You are blessed to be here use it .

Day one hug, still looking forward to your journey. :)

Dee74 11-25-2011 02:25 PM

I really plugged myself into this community here Ruby and leant on the support I found here when I was feeling vulnerable.

You might like to think about looking for real life support too - here's some of the main recovery programmes:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

D