Notices

First Thanksgiving w/o wine

Old 11-24-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face First Thanksgiving w/o wine

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
This Thanksgiving is my first sober Thanksgiving in over twenty years.

For the past twenty years I have pretty much gotten myself heavily buzzed or drunk every Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve. Throw in a healthy number of weekend nights and Sunday afternoons; mostly over the guise of cooking or "just enjoying a glass or two with dinner." The truth is I usually kept a stash, an extra bottle or two stashed in a cabinet or in my closet. When those were gone, I would finish off any remaining unfinished glassfuls from family or company as I did the dishes.

Realized within this past year that I have developed what I consider a serious enough drinking problem; I can see how I've progressively gone from social drinker, to isolated drinker, to not being able to stop after two or three glasses. This year I noticed I could easily finish off two bottles of wine and drink more until I either passed out or got sick. I've got stories of hung over mornings, stupid arguments, close calls, and bad decision making…all drinking related.

I'm on day four of not drinking, having just blown (only a week ago) a lovely 137 days of full sobriety. Last week I willingly went out with old drinking buddies, having convinced myself that one glass of wine wouldn't hurt (even after several months of not drinking at all). Well, one glass led to two…fortunately I didn't do anything too crazy, but I said some things I regret, and basically felt and looked horrible for the next few days. Also annoyed myself for blowing my 137 over something as silly as a glass of wine. I knew better.

Came to this site in July 2011, just reading as an outsider. Am so grateful to all of you who have posted your stories and experiences. Can't fully express how your collective words impacted me. Your words and experiences helped me get through my initial 137 days. Thank you.

My journey towards SR began in June 2011. The short version is I went from total abstinence last April & May to the occasional glass of wine in early June. By mid June I was drinking daily, wine & vodka. By late June - early July, I was polishing off an average of one bottle of wine a day w/a topper of vodka or whatever was available. Hit my bottom around the 4th of July. I was drinking in the a.m., the afternoon, and the night by this time. Feeling & looking like hell, realizing I was out of control; depressed; and not fully functioning at work, at home, in my own life. Not at all present for my family. Decided I just did not want to live like this anymore. Found this site & slowly started to head towards a better way of life.

So here I am. Taking a break while our Thanksgiving meal is cooking and family and company are in the family room. My drink of choice today and most sober days is Pellegrino either straight up or with a splash of juice. I'm not so much worried about getting through today; but the thought of never drinking a glass of good wine again bums me out if I think too much about it.

For the moment, I am partially amazed that it is Thanksgiving and I am cooking and not drinking.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Back to the kitchen I go.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, glad you decided to post. This place has made all the difference for me; I'm sure you'll get even more out of it now.

Sounds like you learned some valuable lessons. This is my first Thanksgiving, too. I quit just a week before Christmas, and was surprised how much more meaningful and enjoyable the day turned out to be.

Have a great Thanksgiving, Vantrina. Need to start cooking soon myself!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your experience. Have a very enjoyable weekend (with no alcohol)!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you decided to get right back at it.

Enjoy your day!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Vantrina - have a great rest of your day

D
Old 11-24-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Vantrina!

My attempts to go back to drinking never worked out either..... Glad you saw it right away and got back to sobriety. Welcome to the posting side!
Old 11-24-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your supportive words. I really can't believe that I have made it through the cooking and the Thanksgiving meal without so much as a sip of wine. Getting through this day, and I know it is not officially over yet, feels especially significant.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Vantrina, congratulations on today. Good job. I just want to thank you for sharing. My situation is very similar. I know I drink too much and at day 5 of sobriety am feeling so much better that I find myself thinking that I don't really have a problem. I just need to slow down. But it is a slippery slope.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

vantrina - welcome! I could have written your post myself. Polish off the bottle of wine then top it off with a vodka. I am on Day 10 today. The thought of never having another glss of wine bums me out too, but I, like you, try not to think bout it. Glad you made it through T-Day!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!! It was a first for me too! Wheeewww glad it's over!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I actually made it through Thanksgiving without drinking. This is huge for me and I feel great about it. A good way to start the holiday season. Thank you everyone for your supportive comments.

Finding it interesting that the intense sugar cravings I had when I began my last journey (137 days sober) and was eating chocolate chip cookies and oreos by the pound while drinking GALLONS of lemonade and ginger ale have actually settled a bit. I've been noticing these last several days as I started my process all over again.

I have five full days of sobriety under my belt today. I am not feeling the pull towards the a.m. cookies or huge mugs of lemonade that I endured for WEEKS last time around. I'm taking that as a sign that my 137 days were not for naught, that they were a step in the right direction.

Feeling like I won an award for not drinking this Thanksgiving. I just can't believe I did it.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"Outstanding Valor in the Face of Friends, Family, and Open Bottles of Wine, Beer and Liquor" Keep up the good work. We're*going to make it through Christmas!

I took the family out to dinner. I paid for the wine but since didn't drink a drop so the dinner was still cheap.

Thank you SR!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Vantrina, That is awesome! You are by far more of a veteran than I, with 137 days under your belt. I haven't gone that long, despite pregnancies, in my entire adult life. This was also my first Thanksgiving without a drink (was never pregnant during the holidays in about 20 years also.
I can relate to your stories of drinking and its effects and close calls. I am only on day 4, but it is time to end that cycle. For me, I 'm tired of dealing with all that drama, that only I created. The emotions, the crying, the goofy happiness, the strange things we my have said, then the hangover, the feelng awful, the guilt.. all drama that only we created and we can control.

The glass of wine things bums me out too at times, but everyone keeps telling me that it gets easier, and before you know it, its not an issue anymore.
So congrats on your Thanksgiving victory!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back! when I "fell off the wagon" it lasted almost 3 years. Three lost miserable years. Glad you are back, and looking forward to hearing of your success to decide that living is a better alternative than giving in to our disease. Glad you chose life
Old 11-25-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job Vatrina! Your story sounds a lot like mine too. I am enjoying my first day after Thanksgiving without a hangover. What a glorious feeling. Day 25 for me, this is my third attempt to stop. My longest stretch was 44 days, then blew it. This site has been a great support to me.

Thanks for your story and stay or SR.