SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hey All . (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/241759-hey-all.html)

Robbie86 11-23-2011 08:46 AM

Hey All .

I am just wondering do you think SR could be enough in helping me to stay sober without going to AAmeetings . I have severe social anxiety disorder and it really stresses me out to be at meetings and stress is my number 1 trigger for relapse . I am also have help from my Higher power/God and I could work the steps , would this be enough ? Thanks . I am ten days sober today .

Tigger41 11-23-2011 09:02 AM

I am only using this site as support and the conviction that I am done with alcohol. I want my life back. Glad to see you here. The support here is wonderful

DarrenW 11-23-2011 09:03 AM

I think you can do anything if you set your mind to it. AA isnt for everyone- that's for sure. Good luck.

Robbie86 11-23-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tigger41 (Post 3180899)
I am only using this site as support and the conviction that I am done with alcohol. I want my life back. Glad to see you here. The support here is wonderful

Cool , good to know :) Thanks .

Robbie86 11-23-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by DarrenW (Post 3180900)
I think you can do anything if you set your mind to it. AA isnt for everyone- that's for sure. Good luck.

Thanks Darren , I am glad to hear that .

camedown 11-23-2011 09:28 AM

As long as you have some plan of recovery in place, that is what is important. AA actually helped my anxiety issues, though they may not have been as strong as yours. Just the security in knowing that whatever meeting I went to, the focus was the same, and I was always welcome, helped ease me tremendously. But like someone said, AA isn't for everybody, just have some strong plan in place to help the personality transition into sober living. If meetings are too much to you, maybe just pick up a Big Book and a Twelve and Twelve, once sobriety kicks in, the anxiety might lessen, it did for me. Good luck.

camedown :headbang:

Dee74 11-23-2011 02:08 PM

I think only you can answer that one Robbie :)

SR has been enough for me, but if you should find it's not enough for you, there's many other extra support alternatives out there - I know both AA and SMART have online meetings for example :)

D

least 11-23-2011 02:09 PM

I've been happily sober almost two years now with the help of my weekly counseling sessions and daily visits to this site.:)

MemphisBlues 11-23-2011 07:00 PM

Everyone who walks into the rooms of AA is anxious about it, and I was amazed to find that I wasn't the only one with panic disorder and anxiety disorder. And my other major drug of choice was klonopin, a heavy-duty tranquilizer.

That said, all you have to do is share that you suffer from high anxiety, and kindred souls will identify and reach out to assure you that you'e in the right place.

SR will help you stay sober, in my view, as it has done for me many a tough morning and night.

But working the steps? Well, the steps of AA aren't something to read, to ponder, to agree or disagree with. They are a process that you are to take under the guidance of an AA sponsor. They are work, not thoughts, and after 14 months of sobriety, I'm beginning (hesitating, but beginning) to work my 8th step.

I've gone to hundreds of AA meetings, spend countless hours trolling here, and socialize only with those in recovery. For me, it's not the only way I can abstain from alcohol and drugs, but I can't live without the support I find in AA.

Jenners 11-23-2011 07:33 PM

I am just starting to seek recovery and am finding this site a big boost. Not just lurking it, but posting on it. The admitting of the problem has been such a huge stride for me this week.

I am planning on hitting a meeting soon too, to see what it has to offer, but am still working up my courage for that one.

eJoshua 11-23-2011 09:42 PM

Lots of people have had a lot of success using SR and nothing else, Robbie. I'm sure you can be successful here too. :)

There are also meetings of various sorts (AA, SMART, etc.) that meet over the internet, I believe, so if you still long for that experience without having to be face to face that might be an option. I'm afraid I don't have the details, but some people here know about those meetings in more detail.

Best wishes!

langkah 11-23-2011 10:30 PM

Robbie, why not give it a try? How often would you have to post and read posts in order to not drink? Every few weeks, or once a week or more?

If your internet connection goes out, do you have a well thought out backup plan?

Dee74 11-24-2011 12:38 AM

I recommend daily visits - a backup plan's not bad though :)

D

overthis 11-24-2011 05:18 AM

I can't say much from long-term experience but I am only armed with SR and my determination at this point and have found it to be enough. I think I may feel more comfortable going to meetings once I become a little more stable in my sobriety. Reading posts on here whenever I'm feeling weak has been an amazing way for me to calm my mind whenever my alcoholic thoughts start to kick in. I hope you are able to find what plan works for you and that you stick with it!

TheTinMan 11-24-2011 06:40 AM

I go to AA. I spend as much time at SR as I can. I do not believe AA is the only way and if I thought SMART, out patient treatment, or anything thing that would keep me sober would be a lot better that the life I led before.

I am willing to try or willing to go to any length to feel the way I feel right now, forever.

I don't think you have to go to AA meetings but you must do everything you can to stay sober and grow as a sober human being.

Find what works for you and then even add on to that every time an new opportunity comes up.

Gerbosko 11-24-2011 06:45 AM

Hello Robbie,

I've only relied on SR for my recovery.

Today is day 37 for me.

Robbie86 11-24-2011 08:18 AM

Thanks guys for all your replies , they are a big help and I will ponder them . Hope you are all doing well . :c017:

ReadyAndAble 11-24-2011 08:41 AM

SR is enough for me, but everyone is different.

You can bet that if I ever took a drink, or even found myself struggling with the desire to drink, I would widen my net by trying AA, RR, SMART, addiction counseling, and every other option available. I have gone to a few AA meetings. I see things a bit differently, but I found the rooms by and large to be an exceptionally welcoming, understanding environment. If there's one place you don't need to hide your feelings, including your anxiety at being there, it's probably an AA meeting.

Love Dublin, by the way. Terrific city. :)

FT 11-24-2011 08:48 AM

Even though I don't go to NA or AA, I think it is worth going to a few meetings just to see if it is for you or not. I went to quite a few meetings years ago, and I found them fascinating, and humbling, because of the commonality we shared in substance abuse.

Years later, I still have fond memories of my favorite meeting, an inner city place that had wide diversity. I found some of the most valuable insight came from the observations of people I never would have thought to speak to "out there" in general society.

These days, I do my own form of independent, and private, recovery. I am very outgoing in other areas of my life, but I prefer my recovery to be private. It is not a trigger for me, and I have never felt stronger in my recovery. But if that changed, I would go back and check out the rooms.

Good luck to you.

FT

Robbie86 11-24-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble (Post 3182097)
SR is enough for me, but everyone is different.

You can bet that if I ever took a drink, or even found myself struggling with the desire to drink, I would widen my net by trying AA, RR, SMART, addiction counseling, and every other option available. I have gone to a few AA meetings. I see things a bit differently, but I found the rooms by and large to be an exceptionally welcoming, understanding environment. If there's one place you don't need to hide your feelings, including your anxiety at being there, it's probably an AA meeting.

Love Dublin, by the way. Terrific city. :)

Hey ReadyAndAble , thanks for your reply . I too am thinking like that regarding not going to AA unless I feel the other things I am doing are not enough . And I am glad to say that since my relapse , I have not had that problem , I am going through days without even thinking of using , it is wonderful although I have to be careful not to be complacent . And I fully agree with what you said about AA being so supportive , I couldn't have asked for more supportive people , it is a shame that they could accept me but I couldn't accept myself . Of course I have said to myself that when I get more confident in myself that I would like to go back to AA . Take it easy , Robbie :)