Notices

Having a tough time meeting non drinkers

Old 11-23-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a tough time meeting non drinkers

Actually, I will just keep this thread open for later. I am too tired to post. Going to bed now.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OK....so I am still somewhat young and am a college student. Though I am not a traditional college student but at our school probably half the students are not traditional. Anyways....I have been without a drink since July and have felt a lot better about myself in that department. However I have to admit that I have not been able to meet many people who are not drinkers. It is not a problem that someone drinks, however I don't care to be around people who are drunk. It seems like a lot of them only want to drink and don't really have any other hobbies. I guess what I am getting at is, how do I make friends in a small town when I don't drink? I have met some people but I have not made any real friends. I tend to be a loner but at times it does get lonely and I would like to know a few people. Well, maybe it was just my negative mood talking.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the best way is probably through AA, but I understand if thats not for you.

I'm no longer young, but maybe you need to widen your hang outs Mr Silver?

coffee bars, go to the movies, hobby clubs, churches...whatever is applicable...volunteering is a good way to meet new people too

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions as well
D
Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A lot of folks drink. But not everybody. Shared interests. That is the key. Find people who like to do the non-drinking activities you do, or share the same hobbies.

Not all students drink. You want to find the serious ones? Hang out at the library. Maybe you'll see a classmate. Strike up a conversation. I know it isn't easy for men to make male friends. It's not like you can knock on their door and ask them if they want to play, like you could when you were 10. But male bonding doesn't have to occur over alcohol.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volunteering saved me and I met some of the best people ever.