SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Alcohol, spice drugs, cancer (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/241741-alcohol-spice-drugs-cancer.html)

soberred 11-23-2011 04:57 AM

Alcohol, spice drugs, cancer

My brother was diagnosed with cancer 3 months ago. He was a heavy drinker. He has been undergoing radiation and chemo therapy. His chances are 40%. He is back to smoking the spice and is now drinking 4 tall boy beers a day. He has been looking pretty rough the last few times I have visited him. I can tell he is dehydrated and is losing weight. He remains positive about recovery but has no care that the drugs and alcohol he puts in his body are probably counteracting the treatment. Goes to show you how vicious addition is. It doesn't care that you are dying inside. It's hard to watch him go through this. I can't do a thing to help him but love him. My soul feels he will loose this battle. He is only 3 years older then I. I hope I'm wrong.

ForeverDecember 11-23-2011 05:03 AM

((((red))))

I'm sorry to hear this. My brother has brain cancer and I can relate to that feeling of helplessness, especially when you see them actively doing something that will make things worse. I hope you are wrong too, and that he kicks that horrible SOB of a disease.

My thoughts are with you. Keep loving him, I hope he wakes up soon and sees the light. Make sure you look after yourself through this too, it's not your disease but I know how much it hurts being the on-looker. There are support groups for family of cancer patients, I've found comfort in some of them, it may help for you also.

((((red))))

soberred 11-23-2011 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by ForeverDecember (Post 3180633)
((((red))))

I'm sorry to hear this. My brother has brain cancer and I can relate to that feeling of helplessness, especially when you see them actively doing something that will make things worse. I hope you are wrong too, and that he kicks that horrible SOB of a disease.

My thoughts are with you. Keep loving him, I hope he wakes up soon and sees the light. Make sure you look after yourself through this too, it's not your disease but I know how much it hurts being the on-looker. There are support groups for family of cancer patients, I've found comfort in some of them, it may help for you also.

((((red))))

I'm sorry about your brother. Hurts like hell doesn't it? I keep my feelings to myself pretty much. I am good at repressing. Like that song "Tears of a clown". This is grown up life. I am thankful I can be there for him sober. I hoped I would be an influence on him but no such luck. My thoughts are with you and your family. God help us get through this. :ghug3

sugarbear1 11-23-2011 06:38 AM

Prayers sent to you.
Hugs,

Fenris 11-23-2011 08:32 AM

Soberred and ForeverDecember, I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Dee74 11-23-2011 02:15 PM

I'm so sorry for your news soberred and FD - prayers for you both, your brothers and your families.
D

Impurrfect 11-23-2011 02:58 PM

((sobered)) and ((FD)) - so sorry you are both going through this. Prayers coming to both of you and your families.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

chicory 11-23-2011 03:24 PM

Sobered and Forever,
So sorry to hear about your brothers. It is very sad, and I wish them healing. and strength for you. Praying for them, and for you,
hugs
chicory

1undone 11-23-2011 08:09 PM

:ghug3:ghug3