SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Can't stop binge drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/241713-cant-stop-binge-drinking.html)

Seared 11-22-2011 08:11 PM

Can't stop binge drinking

I binge drink every two to three weeks and feel powerless to stop the craving before it consumes me.

EDHARLEY 11-22-2011 08:14 PM

Stay on this site

It helped me, I too cant stop once I start.. I post here and it seems to help a lot.. It helps a lot

Seared 11-22-2011 08:24 PM

It takes a lot for me to open up, it's not anybody's fault, but at the same time...I don't know.

Jeff63 11-22-2011 08:30 PM

Sure you can...

You'll get a DUI and go to jail. No booze there. It's not if, it's when. Read the horror stories here.

Bottom line, if you have the will to stop, you'll get the help to do it. Not many can do it alone (a few lucky ones could).

Seared 11-22-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff63 (Post 3180396)

Bottom line, if you have the will to stop, you'll get the help to do it. Not many can do it alone (a few lucky ones could).

If only...

Dee74 11-22-2011 08:37 PM

welcome back seared - remember what you said last time?

It took me a long time to accept the fact that I can't drink, as I remember clearly all the parties and great times I had while drinking. After a while it became tough to have fun without it. My light at the end of the tunnel is that I lived the first 17 years of my life without drinking, and it is possible to do without it.
I think that acceptance is very important. Support can really help too.

I know how hard it can be to reach out - but I really don't think any of us does this alone.

Reaching out to others and listening to what they had to say was pretty much the smartest thing I ever did - after quitting drinking :)

You can get back to being that non drinker :)

Do you have any kind of a plan from here, Seared?

D

eJoshua 11-22-2011 08:37 PM

Are you willing to take action to stop your drinking? If so, what action are you planning on taking?

I am also powerless over alcohol, but I've been sober for 7 months.

eJoshua 11-22-2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by eJoshua (Post 3180405)

Which I mention in order to say that you can do it too.

Jeff63 11-22-2011 08:40 PM

Great job josh! Wow :ghug3

(seared, this could be you getting congrats! You're choice)

Great inspiration josh

Seared 11-22-2011 08:41 PM

Are you willing to take action to stop your drinking? If so, what action are you planning on taking?

What action(s) did you take?

artsoul 11-22-2011 08:42 PM

Welcome Seared!

I started out binge drinking, too. Never got in trouble, but I think I was just lucky. (Or maybe I wasn't, because I didn't have any reason to stop?!) I sure did do and say things I wouldn't have if I were sober.......

Getting support (like posting/reading here) is what helps me stay sober. It's easy to "forget" what happened the last time we drank, and thinking we can control it. If you're like me, though, I was never interested in having a one-or-two drinks kind of night. I always, always wanted one more, no matter how much I'd had.

Stick around, read and post. We know what it's like......:ring

Seared 11-22-2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by artsoul (Post 3180416)
If you're like me, though, I was never interested in having a one-or-two drinks kind of night. I always, always wanted one more, no matter how much I'd had.

That sounds like me.

DayTrader 11-22-2011 09:49 PM

That's an awesome statement.... Same deal for me. I'm personally just as powerless over it now as I was 55 months ago but I found some additional power - an external battery pack, so to speak.

And unfortunately for many of us who are hell-bent on solving the problem ourselves.......the answers come in doing a lot of things you may not believe will 'work' and doing a whole lotta stuff you probably won't want to do. I guess that's logical cuz most of us, when we're drinking, are pretty-much living our lives the way we see fit........and, for an alcoholic, that just doesn't work. --hope that make sense. ;)