Notices

trying it again

Old 11-22-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying it again

today was the end of day 2. I am going to start making time for myself to do whatever i want to do. i am just going to keep my self busy for a while. i am going to need to, i dont know what to do with myself. any sugestion
Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I enjoy reading to learn (non-fiction), I also try to write down feelings, wants & needs. Cleaning up the house and organizing your things could help.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read, surf this site or watch movies I have really wanted to see. Hang in there.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My house was spotless and my dog lost 3 pounds from walking! LOL In the first few days/weeks...it is almost mandatory that you keep busy doing something -anything. I even found myself organizing my forks and spoons in the silverware drawer. Sounds silly but I wasn't drinking.
It's funny how many things we can find to do when we search for them, to pass time from drinking. I wonder just how many hours (added up) I actually wasted with drink. UGH.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there Geno! I have busied myself with lots of cleaning that went undone, like vacuuming stairs. I have done projects with the kids, read alot, word puzzles, surfing this site, anything to keep my mind and hands busy. I have volunteered at our local salvation army during the times i would crave a drink the most during days 7 8 and 9. You can do it! I also have been visiting the local library too!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The two things I used to do a lot to keep me occupied early in recovery: walk my dogs and watch movies. My two favorite activities.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Reading is always at the top of my list! Maybe try to find some hobby/book club/sport that has evening get-togethers so that you get out of the house instead of drinking. I find if I have to be out of the house in the evenings, it helps me to not drink.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this!! know you are not alone, I have just finished day 3 myself. i like to journal, read, punch my heavy bag, go for a walk, talk to someone who is clean and sober, anything to keep my mind off of using. have you gone to any meetings? i have started going again and at least for that hour, i have managed to stay clean. good luck to you and keep your chin up! you can do this!!! :ghug3
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

theres a good list here - it might give you some ideas Geno

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

basically, use your imagination - whatever you can think of to do that's fun and positive - go for it!

D