Notices

Our Future

Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Our Future

In the future what do our lives hold. It is a weird thought. To me I know that I am happier not drinking mostly because when I drink now I get overwhelming anxiety.. the kind I used to get after I used cocaine or X. I have nervous breakdowns.. so I know that I have to quit drinking. I have a problem though.. every time I think about the future I never imagine having a drink in my hand. That is one side.. but I constantly also think negative thoughts about being alone because I cannot drink and can’t imagine my life without it.. I can’t explain it but I always catch myself wondering, getting overwhelmed etc. I like many others used my drinking to escape.. found myself drinking alone mostly listing to music think/daydreaming what I was going to accomplish but seemed to never do. I hope that someone can identify.. am I negative because I now have to face the reality that I can do these things and if I don’t it’s my choice? Very confused about these thoughts. Will consider it more. If anyone has felt the same way let me know or if anyone has any insight please let me know. I think I hid behind the addiction... which I hated.. but when I get sober I.. well not sure..It might go back to the crutch thing.. just thinking out loud.. Thanks in Advance.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm still not exactly sure why I drink. I am genetically disposed. My mom and both sisters are alcoholics so it runs in my family. I have also had a few tragedies that have caused dips in my disease, but right now in my life, I have everything. I have a wonderful marriage, amazing little creatures that are my kids, a good job, financial security. I have no idea why drinking makes me feel so good (even though it actually makes me feel soooo shiteous). I know I am wrecking everything, and that I will die young and lose all of this, if I don't lose it sooner. All I know is that while my present sucks for me because I am hiding this disease that is consuming me, my future will be way worse if I do not stop because I will lose all of the wonderful things I have now, I will have mcu more work to do to recover, and my body will be that much more damaged. We only get one life, right?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you think too much about the future and what ifs you'll go mad Ed.

I had to make it easy on myself - I reasoned I had x days, whatever it was, sober now... I hadn't died and my head didn't explode

I just had to do the same again today....

If the futures too immense to deal with, try breaking it down to 'I will not drink today'.
I know others have other approaches, but this worked for me in the beginning...

You'll have plenty of chances to see what the future holds Ed - in my experience, though, my fear of the future was always far worse than the reality.

The fact that there's a lot of us here still sober after how many years is a pretty good recomendation for sober living I think

I don't regret my decision Ed - you won't either

D
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I get it - kind of freaks me out if I think of never drinking again - but I'm trying to think of it as not "doing without" as much as "I'm leaving behind" It was worse last week when I really had to come to terms with I can never drink again. But I tried to relate it to something I've done before (I'm no spring chicken)

I used to smoke (years ago) and couldn't imagine my life without a cigarette -

Oh my how the heck am I going to drink my morning coffee?
How am I ever going to drive for long distances?
How am I going to get going in the morning?
What the heck am I going to do after a meal?

Now years later (in fact I felt this way about 2 years out) I'm like - yuck how could I ruin my morning coffee with a smoke? How could I drive 10 hours with not being able to breath. Now I don't smoke and there's not a day that goes by that I think "Man if I could just have one more cigarette" nope don't want one no matter what and I think it can be that way with drinking.

Right now I'm not there, not by a long shot but I already see my thoughts starting to change - I really do - I already see me being able to in a few years thinking "Why would I ruin this fun time with a drink"

That's my goal

So for now give your mind a chance to change and maybe try helping it. Every time you think
"You mean I can never have a drink again" right then try to change it to
"Man why would I ever want a drink again"

I don't know - this could be a bunch of BS and in another month I'll be losing my mind saying "What do you mean I can never drink again!!" But I hope not -
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your posts

That helped a lot but to better explain

Right now I am
at about 40% Ugh I can never drink again
20% Yea I have time can achieve all I wanted to do..
40% Ugh I have time cannot escape and have to realize the fact that I might not be as ambitious as I thought I was and not do anything

Having to learn how to live again.. that is scary.. what do I do with my time.. every one or at least I kept saying one day this one day that but what if I dont do anything.. drinking was my escape I guess I will have to actually face my failures ..
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you

That helped a lot but to better explain

Right now I am
at about 40% Ugh I can never drink again
20% Yea I have time can achieve all I wanted to do..
40% Ugh I have time cannot escape and have to realize the fact that I might not be as ambitious as I thought I was and not do anything

Having to learn how to live again.. that is scary.. what do I do with my time.. every one or at least I kept saying one day this one day that but what if I dont do anything.. drinking was my escape I guess I will have to actually face my failures ..
Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

face your failures? Maybe have time to plan new successes

Today is an up day for me - sounds like a down day for you - I hope tomorrow is better for you