Notices

Will you teach me more about the Alcoholic Voice?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will you teach me more about the Alcoholic Voice?

I was doing great for a while, but once again gave in to the notion that I can have my evening wine. So I can’t count days right now, but I am happy to report that this community has kept me from listening to that voice at least for tonight.

Recently I found myself waking up each morning feeling just fine, but thinking, “That was stupid. I will make sure not to drink tonight.” Then evening would come and my resolution was completely the opposite. It’s has been so strange. So tonight I was battling the mind set by coming here, and I found several posts that actually identified this as the Alcoholic Voice. Well of course it makes much sense, but I have never heard it called that. Just wondering what you all can tell me about it.

Thanks -
Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Chloe: I'm not an expert on this but there's lots of stuff on this website relating to what some folks call the "Beast". Do a search for AVRT and also Rational Recovery. My take on this is that AVRT does not preclude other approaches, such as AA but it offers a wealth of insight into what actually takes place in addiction and what to do about it. No doubt others will want to tell you a little more about it.

W.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a few AV based threads in our Secular Connections forum Chloe
Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know that voice well!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OOOHH. Thank you both, but I could not face any challange in my life (especially this one) in a secular way without God. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an expert but I don't think it's a method necessarily incompatible with God Chloe

D
Old 11-21-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. That helps me to keep an open mind and I will look into it more.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been curious too. I started a few times to wander through the volumes of information in that forum, but never really found a direct answer - just lots of conversation around/about it.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I gave my addictive voice a name because it helps me to talk to it and tell it to put its thoughts where the sun don't shine! It's trying to kill me! I have read up on Avert, I use information from Rational Recovery and AA. I will also use any other method to keep the beast quiet! It's helped me with how tiresome the battle in my head can be when I don't have an AA Friend to call or other methods aren't working. Just another tool in the "shed!"
Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

From a google search:

AVRT in a Nutshell
SMART Recovery search on Google:
SMART Recovery® | Self Help for Addiction & Alcohol Abuse

Last edited by Dee74; 11-21-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: removed links
Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Hi Chloe. I too, marvel at the firm resolution in the early to mid-day I have to remain sober, only to find it a shadow by 5 pm. I have used the concept of the Lawrence Talbot syndrome (from the old "wolfman" movie of the early 40s) which, to me, parallels the affliction of alcoholism, ie., the 5 pm urges = the full moon, transformation into the wolfman = the person I become as I drink. Like you, I have no other people to share my abstinence because of the remoteness of my home. So I battle as best as I can. Some days are a diamond, some days are coal.
BTW, I did not change to the creature tonight. A reason to celebrate and have a second cup of tea. Stay strong.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, Chloe.

I'm not an expert either, but I have found it's helpful to separate myself from the addictive voice. I want to be sober. I want to live a long and happy life. The addiction wants alcohol, period. My happiness and health are not part of the equation.

By making that distinction, I find it's easier to detach from the debate over whether to drink or not. I know what I want. I'm in control. There's no point in negotiating. The voice will try its best to trick me, whispering about having just one drink. "Just one—you deserve it," it says. What a liar. I deserve to be free of addiction. I deserve to wake up feeling great about myself tomorrow.

I have a hard time seeing how any person of faith could have a problem with that.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
The easiest way to learn about Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) is to read the book, "Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction" by Jack Trimpey. While the AVRT discussion threads are on the "Secular Connections" forum on here, Jack Trimpey is not atheist, and AVRT is congruent with Christian repentance.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chloe60 View Post
OOOHH. Thank you both, but I could not face any challange in my life (especially this one) in a secular way without God. Thanks for the info.
Not a worry, Chloe. I've found the AVRT approach not at all incompatible with my faith, which is my core. What I do: recognize the addictive voice, disregard it, turn to God. :-)
Sal
Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

It's my inner greasy maggot that does not want to do anything but have fun and get wasted irrespective of the consequences for me or anyone. He does not want to do anything productive either, forget work, forget delayed gratification. That ball of grease however can sing sweetly and is as smooth as silk on the persuasion line. That b.......d knows all my weaknesses.

I have noticed he sleeps in till after lunch as well !!!!

I have found I need international rescue just to ferry him around, and drop him where he belongs-
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Chloe, thank you for starting this thread and thanks to everyone for the replies.

I'm on Day 8 and had a difficult time last night. I really wasn't close to having a drink, but the voice telling me it would be okay to have just one or that one day soon I could drink in moderation, was strong. While not seriously tempted to drink, I grew weary of having to fight the impulse.

If I used to always think about or plan my drinking, now I find myself constantly telling myself not to drink. It is tiring. I follow up on the links provided ... perhaps I'll gain some new tools.

Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AVRT is not inconsistent with AA... it fits in nicely with my approach to the 3rd and 11th steps.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I think that all addiction recovery paradigms do on some level acknowledge the Addictive Voice, simply because it is a reality. There have been various terms for the source, "King Alcohol," "The Committee," or "My Disease" (AA), "The Enemy" (SMART), the "Alcoholic Self" (LifeRing), and "The Beast" (RR). AVRT just identifies the Addictive Voice as the prime mover, front and center.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One of the things I was glad for in finally getting sober was that the strange voices inside my head stopped talking to me. It saved me from giving them names and entering into arguments with them or pretending to ignore them.

I know not everyone gets that kind of relief, so it's good AVRT is around.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your comments. I just began my research into AVRT, but I see that it can be a great "tool" in the shead. I kind of like 1undone's idea of naming the voice so that I can tell it to shut up. Thanks guys...