Notices

Cloudy in the head and lacking meanin to life

Old 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cloudy in the head and lacking meanin to life

Greetings. I am new to this. I am a 33 y.o. man who started drinking heavy at around 26. By heavy I mean drinking vodka or gin straight every night until unconsiousness and many weekends being around the clock binges. Anyway, I am a couple of months into this sober living thing but have some questions/strange feelings. First off, I am a computer engineer and while I can still mentally function a technical job, I find semi-often that I can get cloudy in my thoughts. I might not be able to find the word that I was wanting to use or may be as precise in my wording as I once was. Maybe it's that I am aging or maybe it is alcohol damage. Anyone with any insight?

My more recent problem is that I almost feel like my inner fire is being extinguished. Where I once was very passionate about certain things in life like politics, technology, relationships with others, high morals and ethics, I find that I still hold my values but feel more "Blah" in my attitude.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have felt/still feel the same way. The longer I abstain from drinking the clearer my thoughts get though. My generally blah attitude however, does not change.

I'm being treated for depression by my doctor now, so that combined with sobriety will hopefully help.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies

Sounds like PAWS to me. It's the body and brain getting readjusted to functioning without alcohol. I noticed it after my last quit date, but it seemed to fade away over time and by a year sober I didn't notice it much anymore.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies[/url]

Sounds like PAWS to me. It's the body and brain getting readjusted to functioning without alcohol. I noticed it after my last quit date, but it seemed to fade away over time and by a year sober I didn't notice it much anymore.
Wow! Just about every symptom is highly applicable with the exception of disturbed sleep. After about a week out from drinking my sleep reregulated itself. Usually a day or two after getitng past the throwing up.
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
My more recent problem is that I almost feel like my inner fire is being extinguished. Where I once was very passionate about certain things in life like politics, technology, relationships with others, high morals and ethics, I find that I still hold my values but feel more "Blah" in my attitude.
At one time that may have been your passion. But in you own words:

Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
I am a 33 y.o. man who started drinking heavy at around 26. By heavy I mean drinking vodka or gin straight every night until unconsiousness and many weekends being around the clock binges.
That sounds like what you were passionate about. I was the same way. I loved to "think deep thoughts." But there is something hollow about the intellectualizing of a drunk. Make your passion your recovery...then you will be in a position to live your other passions.
  # 6 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi jgray1978 welcome to SR glad you found us.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Jgray1978, stick to your sobriety.......relapse is HELL>>>>>>>>

Welcome,
Shygirl
Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome jgray.

I think we all have a shift in passion at one time or another. There is alot of things I used to like to do or think about but things change and I find my thoughts are ever evolving.
Actually, I'm having a hard time finding a passion for any one thing lately. I recently moved and think I should be driving around this big wonderful city taking in the sites...but here I sit. Blah! LOL
Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome jgray

I found drinking extinguished those passions, not recovery.

It took me a while for my mind and body to heal themselves but I definitely got my 'inner fire' back.

None of us are Drs. It might be PAWs...it may not - it could be depression or any number of things too...

please check with your Dr if you're worried

D
Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hey jgray, welcome to SR!

I, too, experience the brain fog still. Sometimes I forget what I was going to say before I start and other times I just have a really hard time expressing myself verbally. I'm usually a pretty articulate person, so it is embarrassing to find myself struggling with words occasionally.

Hang in there, I know it's improved a little bit in my case, but I'm only at 7 months so I'm guessing it will get better after my body and mind continue to heal.