Notices

Nervous

Old 11-21-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous

This has to be it. I've always like alcohol. Always too much. But I always thought I could control it. "I can let this go anytime I want to." And I have a job that I am good at, and I look after most things pretty well. But when I realize that my day revolves around getting home and going to bed early so I can sit there and drink wine until I pass out - that's not control. So here I am on the second day of sobriety. My head is pounding - even though I took 2 Tylenol. And I know that this is not "a headache". I just need to get through it. And in a week - I hope - it won't hurt like this.

Please tell me that this is true.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In many cases withdrawal only lasts a few days to a week. Drinking lots of water and juice, vitamins, especially B vits, good food and rest should help too. And with each day that passes you should start feeling better. If you don't, see your doctor.

Welcome to the family.:ghug3
Old 11-21-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome version2

I think most of us feel better in a week - it's often a good idea to see your Dr, especially if you've drunk for a while - detox can someimes be tricky.

Certainly see your Dr if you're concerned at any time

D
Old 11-21-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was in a similar spot as you. Things were going reasonably well, but the pattern of my drinking was not good and I'm sure it would have gotten progressively worse. I was drinking a tad less than a pint of bourbon each night.

I'm on Day 7 today and I began to experience headaches from Day 2 on and taking Tylenol helped. A couple of days I experienced mild nausea. The headache is much less today, so hopefully I've begun to turn the corner.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You've come to a wonderful, helpful place! It does get better and better. Hang in there and know that you will feel better before too long
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome version 2! Congratulations on making the decision to live a sober life. It will get a lot better soon! Stay strong.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi version2. My life was around getting home to my wine. Oh and my kids etc but mostly about my wine. And drinking enough to just pass out ( I called it getting to sleep). Household was running but I didn't realize how much I wasn't "present" until I stopped drinking. I'm only at day 19 but I'm seeing a positive difference.

I had headaches through the first week. Still having them on and off. Nothing horrible but uncomfortable. Now the most annoying thing is the thinking. Constantly thinking about drinking, not wanting to drink, how bad is it going to be not to drink, what am I going to tell people etc. and a surprise revelation - no one else is thinking about drinking that much but me. I went to a party and said I had a headache so I wasn't drinking and no one gave it a thought.

Stick with it. Even as your alcoholic mind starts telling you you weren't that bad. Sounds like you know you have a problem. Great job taking this first step.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Version2.. Hang in there.. I'm only on day 7.. It does get better. There first few days my head ached and I had an upset stomach..I feel much better today.

You will find great support here. Certainly helped me through my first weekend without a drink.

Jim
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tigger, it's like you are in my head. For a long time, I told myself I did not have a problem. I just enjoyed having a glass of wine. Then it was just to help me sleep. Then it became the highlight of my day. Then I started to be nervous if I didn't have at least a couple of bottles in the house or I'd plan the end of my day around getting more. "Gotta stop for a few groceries - wine store just happens to be in the grocery store". I was downing a bottle most nights but always half a bottle minimum.

Thanks WhoDey for the notes on the headaches. I'm taking the advice on drinking lots of water. Staying at a hotel tonight for work meeting tomorrow. Planning on eating dinner elsewhere and bringing some sparkling water to the room so I won't be tempted by room service.

I'll be checking in to SR so I'm accountable. But no hiding anymore.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks SoberJim. And good job on the 7 days.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on quitting drinking! Just think, as long as you don't drink you don't have to feel this way anymore, at least that is what I keep telling myself.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

If you drank daily, see a doctor.

A body that runs with alcohol, then stopping abruptly, messes with our blood pressure & can be fatal.

Best wishes on staying stopped!