Notices

A "pothead" longing for transformation.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A "pothead" longing for transformation.

Hey all,

I've decided to emerge from the shadows a bit to introduce myself. . .

I've used marijuana (almost daily) for 20 years now, but I finally decided to get serious about giving it up. I haven't had a toke since about 1:00 a.m. on 11/14/2011. So far so good, I guess. . . even though I still think about using. And despite the insomnia, the headaches, and the irritability and crankiness.

Not sure what else to say except that I am thankful for finding this forum.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR mjMagdalene

I was a pot smoker for the same length of time if not longer, so I have a little insight into what you're going through

nearly a week is good going tho - glad to have you with us!

D
Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A week is indeed good! It's something to build upon (and be proud of!). The transformation is happening right now. It may take a little time to see the results/benefits of not smoking. I too was a long term smoker. I never thought I would give it up. I still have the insomnia two and a half years later, but that may be because I worry about things too much. I still have dreams of smoking from time to time. It makes me feel bad, but when I wake up I am so relieved! Smoking was fun... for a short while. Then it became a prison. It's good to be free! And I had the key the whole time.

Keep it up. It's well worth it. It does become much easier over time. I think the first two or three weeks were the worst. Soon you will notice days passing where you haven't even thought about it! Good luck!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I gave up pot & 4 days later the alcohol. You can stay stopped!

I have no insomnia today, we can learn not to rely on substances!

Best wishes on staying stopped!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee, Simian and sugarbear! It's so good to know there are others with similar experiences out there. Many don't believe that marijuana can lead to serious addiction and then to difficult withdrawals upon trying to give it up. I believed it for two decades.

What was once a crutch for me has now become more of an anchor. Deep in my heart I knew this, so I finally went back to church 2 years ago. Recently I began seeing a psychologist to help me begin to work through a past trauma and I am even considering the Celebrate Recovery program.

I know I can't do this by myself; that I need God in my life again and the support of a caring community like Sober Recovery. I am an "expert at quitting" and have attempted it (unsuccessfully) many, many times only to pick up MJ yet again as if no time had passed at all.

It's time to let go of the past and this anchor that's kept me cemented to the same spot for too many years. I'm ready for the journey to commence!