Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

For those of us in the States - what's the plan for Thanksgiving

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My plan - take my Antabuse - no matter how much my AV says don't take it you'll be fine and maybe then you can have just a taste blah blah blah

If my Mom etc start a pull on a trigger I'm going out and playing football in the front yard

And to top it off I finally told my other half I have a drinking problem (wasn't able to say alcoholic to her yet) and I'm not drinking and in fact I don't believe I'm ever going to drink again. She's like - well then let's get the stuff out of our house if it's an issue for you - I don't want an alcoholic wife little late for that huh??

Get a plan - I have mine and I'm sticking to it!

T-Day is coming
Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

drive to Indy all day THursday and have T-giving on Friday at my sisters, a normie drinker, my non drinking brother and my non drinking partner and my 87 yr old mother who will have her 3x year white wine glass! so i'm safe!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Will have at least 20 family members over my house. Lots of work- but No drinking!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fixing dinner at the AA hall. Eat myself into a coma, con some noobie into cleaning up.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Spending it with eldest daughter and her family in the northern states. They don't drink anyway and I wouldn't even if they did. Going to eat a lot and help her clean up the mess afterward. Either by helping with the kitchen mess or by watching/entertaining the grandkids to keep them out of the kitchen.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Going down the street to my dad's. Small gathering but way less stressful that way. I've been completely honest with my dad and stepmother about my drinking, drug use and recovery so is nice to be able to talk to them about it. They don't drink either so we will all just cook lots of food and drink tea. I can't wait for some smoked turkey. I hope you all have a wonderful sober holiday!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Going to my sisters house some 70 miles away from my home. Help with dinner prep, chill out with family. There may be some wine there but, none for me thank you.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

going to my brother's house to spend the day with family and the babies....bringing asperagus, a pound of peanut butter /dark chocolate fudge and an apple pie. I bought wine as asked, but delivered it to my brother's house 2 weeks ago....i'm the only one who has a problem, but it won't bother me if others drink at dinner.

football, conversation and lots of good food.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have another business trip then heading to family for a few days. None of them drink so should be fine.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, one reason for my recent move was to be closer to my son and grandson. So...I was invited to my son's girlfriend's parents house. Not sure how that will go since I am currently considered 'grandparent competition'. LOL They live in the same town so I don't have to stay if I don't feel comfortable and can use the excuse "I have to go home and let my dog out". Booze is not the problem...it will be the people! LOL
But I remain my usual optomistic positive self and will have a good time.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go to my brothers house and enjoy Thanksgiving. I have my sobriety and I'm thankful for it. Since I'm positive about my recovery, I have far more than enough confidence that thanksgiving will be fine.

Even if I was still drinking, I wouldn't be able to drink much. I have a job interview the very next day LOL.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm working on all the holidays this year, so I guess that'll help with temptation.

I am going to a family thing that weekend, though, and I'm sure there will be alcohol. However, it's going to be pretty low key, so I don't foresee any stress cravings. I'll focus on the food instead of the booze.

Now food plans -- cornbread stuffing, pecan pie, mashed potatoes, vegetarian gravy .... Nom!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm going to spend the day cooking the smallest turkey I can find, playing board games with my 7-year-old, and being very, very thankful that I no longer drink.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'll be sticking close to SR, reading and re-reading my gratitude list, and keeping myself busy by helping my in-laws get dinner ready. My husband and I will be back home visiting our families (we moved to another state and we see them only a couple times a year), so I'll be enjoying their company. I'll also volunteer to be a designated driver for anyone who needs it.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Pre-ordered Thanksgiving dinner from our local grocery store's deli, gotta pick it up Wednesday. Family isn't coming until the weekend, probably just my brother, his wife and my mother. (A pot-head, a pill-popper and a diabetic ... in that order) LOL
With ~2 month sober behind me, I feel I'm ready for the challenge + There should be a good bit of left-overs! :-D
Old 11-20-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I will be watching the Lions come from behind in the second half to hand the Packers their first loss of the season!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We are all alone - my 2 oldest girls are off with their dad so it is just me, my husband and the baby. But we are still cooking a feast. We enjoy the leftovers!

As for drinking, since it is just us it isn't a big deal. No awkward questions.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Will probably go to in-laws. Everyone will be drinking. I'll be enjoying not having to worry about what I said or did the next morning. There were too many years of that, & I wish I could get them back and enjoy the holidays the right way - instead of having them fly by in a blur.

I hope everyone has a great time and savors the day. Glad you asked, Tigger!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Going to a sober dinner with lots of sober people at my friend's home. Spent time there today helping out polishing silver, cutting veggies, and making pies!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MINEr

Working a twelve hour shift for double pay. Gonna feed about 1500 people at our Thanksgiving brunch.

Also, I saw on Facebook from a friend...

Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action.
I know I have more than my share of giving thanks to do this year.

camedown