Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

For those of us in the States - what's the plan for Thanksgiving

Notices

For those of us in the States - what's the plan for Thanksgiving

Old 11-21-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I will be driving on T-day with husband and my dog 9 hours to our friend's country retreat in the woods. Then we will camp out for the weekend, hike, sit around a bonfire, EAT EAT EAT, play music and enjoy each others' company.

There will be drinking but there are several people including my hostess who do not drink. So, I'll be safe and sober and have a chance to deeply appreciate my Chosen Family who love me.

My Born Family is screwed up big time. I don't have to sit at their table anymore.

For anyone who is newly sober, it CAN AND DOES GET BETTER. You can have a happy Thanksgiving with people who are grateful and loving. Love all the examples on this thread of how to make that happen. Cheers to the OP for a great topic!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I could use a little advice.

We'll be hosting the family thanksgiving ... 25-30 attendees. While I wouldn't refer to the family-at-large as big drinkers, there will be plenty of wine and beer.

How do you handle being a host for such an event. My wife was asking me about how much beer, etc. to have on hand and while I don't have a problem purchasing it, I really don't want to have to plan it or have the surplus around post-thanksgiving.

I'm sure this will come up multiple times over the next month. Alcohol is often expected. How can you be a good host yet not have lots of extra alcohol around?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post

We'll be hosting the family thanksgiving ... 25-30 attendees. While I wouldn't refer to the family-at-large as big drinkers, there will be plenty of wine and beer.

How do you handle being a host for such an event. My wife was asking me about how much beer, etc. to have on hand and while I don't have a problem purchasing it, I really don't want to have to plan it or have the surplus around post-thanksgiving.

I'm sure this will come up multiple times over the next month. Alcohol is often expected. How can you be a good host yet not have lots of extra alcohol around?

It is challenging to estimate how much everyone will drink.... How about planning to send the leftovers home with guests - or give to a relative to save for Xmas parties etc.... If you can't have it in the house or give it away then I would pour it down the drain the minute everyone left (or even before if you can ). Not worth the risk!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

We're having some family (maybe a couple of friends) over. I'm going to cook all day (love, love, love to cook and eat Thanksgiving food). Will be thankful for being sober (and for SR)! There will be wine and booze around, but I'm used to that because my husband still drinks.

My evening will be spent visiting and relaxing instead of passing out the minute the last dirty dish is stacked high on the counter. I've always wanted to watch National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation on Thx night to start the Christmas holiday - this year may just be the year LOL.

Oh how wonderful it will be to wake up on Friday with a clean kitchen, a fridge full of delicious leftovers and NO hangover. Friday will be the perfect day for decorating for Christmas.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So excited for thanksgiving! I'm driving down to LA with my boyfriend and his brother (who are both sober) to spend it with their family. This will be my first sober thanksgiving! My bf's fam knows that I'm sober now too, so there won't be any awkward "do you want a glass of wine? Beer?" questions. My bf is from LA and so he knows of good meetings there that we are planning on going to while down there. It will be fun to raise my hand as a visitor anyways...I'm looking forward to it! Hope you all have a happy and sober thanksgiving too!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Have not decided if I will go to my fathers , I would in enjoy it but I stayed away for the 4 th of July because of all the drinking.

So I might stay home and just simply enjoy the day being sober. Which ever as long as I dont pick up it will be a thankful day

Hope everyone enjoys whatever they do hug
Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
GhostDogg

I am a little scared for thanksgiving, but am pretty sure i will be fine. today is my 15th day of sobriety.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GhostDogg View Post
I am a little scared for thanksgiving, but am pretty sure i will be fine. today is my 15th day of sobriety.
You can do it GhostDogg. Enjoy the day, and if it helps, feel superior to those who have to have a drink to loosen up or have fun. You can do it!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

We are hosting a small group of 8 family members and there will be drinking but I will be contentedly sipping my club soda with lime which I have grown to really enjoy! I will look forward to remembering the entire evening and not being in a haze from drinking all evening.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I will be going to my SIL's folks place. There's no booze there, but I'm not really looking forward to it. Hopefully I can just stay busy helping out in the kitchen. They have a confederate sign in their bathroom & it always makes me sad & uncomfortable. Will be happy when I get home with my pets that afternoon
Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
GhostDogg

Thank you.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post

when I host family and friends for dinner I do buy booze...and i bring home boxes from the liquor store. At the end of the party, i pack up the surplus and give to my brother and nephew...I also pack up all the extra desserts and any leftovers they would like. sometimes a save a few ounces of wine to flavor a sauce, but that's about it.