Notices

2 months clean & sober & so brain dead

Old 11-20-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 months clean & sober & so brain dead

It's been a little over 2 months since I drank or used adderall,and it seems that even simple things like typing this post is very difficult.I go to say something and forget what I was even talking about.
When I'm washing dishes or anything with my hands I seem to have to put alot of thought into it,and handle anything I touch or pick up with special care as if it may break easily..I think maybe I killed alot of brain cells..
Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Zorilla,

I don't have an answer just a comment.

I am 103 days sober and I am exactly the same way. Doing things is such a big deal. I am not nearly as productive as I used to be. I take care of things I have to take care of, but I am letting a lot of things go. This has been a problem for me since I got sober. And I don't know why. I feel infinitely better, and I am much happier, but energy is pretty low.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Zorilla and Sissy...our bodies converted the sugars from alcohol into energy for as long as we drank. I've put on 20 lbs trying to replace the energy, and have just gotten fat, and a little more energetic. Now sober about the same time as Sissy, I'm sick of being fat and without energy. So, I must work out. I was working out a little at the beginning, and it helped my energy level a lot, but then life became too busy to continue working out. Now, I need to change it up and figure out how to make time.

I've had a hard time with it, and also with memory; mostly short term. But, each day, in usually a small, incremental way, I am gaining my faculties, energy, and abilities back.

Dont give up!!!! FIGHT WEARY!!!! Break through the next barrier.

We abused our bodies and minds for years. It will take much longer than 2,3 or 4 months to regain ourselves.

Last night, a speaker at an AA meeting with 3 yrs sobriety, said that she spent the first year learning how to remain sober, the second year re-establishing her spiritual life, and the present year getting to know herself.

This takes time! I almost feel hypocritical saying all this, as I've spent the weekend really wanting to chuck it all and drink, but I didn't. Please plow through the lack of energy, and just learn to navigate through the fog until it lifts.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea your energy is gonna be low in the beginning because you changed your fuel source, but just keep the goal in mind, it does get better!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How you're feeling lately may well be signs of Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, aka PAWS. It has to do with the body and brain getting back to normal functioning. I had problems with it too. Couldn't concentrate, memory was horrible, feelings of anxiety - but it does go away provided you stay sober and take good care of yourself.

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome
Old 11-20-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was just about to post a link about PAWS. Makes sense, I wish I had known about it the first time I got sober.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. I am on day 8 without Adderall, and today I needed a 3 hour nap and cried twice for no reason. High protein, healthy food helps some - organic yogurt is great for people like me who are too tired to pull anything together.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am worried about that too. But I didn't take adderalll, I just drank. Maybe I just thought I was smart because I was drinking, but I really wasn't as smart as I thought I was? Adderall is an amphetamine, correct me if I am wrong, but won't amphetamines like adderall enhance ones mental performance?

If adderall is a prescription for you, why do you really want to quit?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cuyootoo View Post
I am worried about that too. But I didn't take adderalll, I just drank. Maybe I just thought I was smart because I was drinking, but I really wasn't as smart as I thought I was? Adderall is an amphetamine, correct me if I am wrong, but won't amphetamines like adderall enhance ones mental performance?

If adderall is a prescription for you, why do you really want to quit?
Well here's what I had done.I tricked a dr into prescribing it.All it ever enhanced in me was insanity.It was like overnight I was addicted and even though I felt like I was schizophrenic;I couldn't stop taking it.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hey Zorilla...glad you're off both the booze and the adderall. That PAWS link helped me a lot. Thanks, Least!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
Hey Zorilla...glad you're off both the booze and the adderall. That PAWS link helped me a lot. Thanks, Least!
I love Google.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on 2 months! You've come far!

Yes, your cells are healing! It all gets better!

Move forward!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All of our brain cells are dying right now anyway, and we were born with more than we ever will use. So, hey, we had a few billion to burn anyway.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have found that my weight is def going up because I would never eat while drinking...
My mind wanders a lot too BUT when I was drinking my mind was in another place....I would rather let it wonder than not have it at all .
Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

I am at six months and some times it feels like it's just coming together. It takes what it takes, for out bodies to get back to where they need to be
Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody...I think I just gotta bitch once in awhile.
I luv being clean & sober!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had the same experience. At 6 months I started to notice an improvement and things started to really accelerate at 10 months.

I was also sick almost nonstop the first 6 months. My poor body must have been in shock that I wasn't poisoning it anymore.

I drank and smoked but no adderall.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zorilla
Thanks everybody...I think I just gotta bitch once in awhile.
I luv being clean & sober!!!!
I had PAWS a lot in the beginning. It came and went in phases for the first year, gradually the phases became less intense and further apart. I misplaced personal belongings. Forgot appointments. Etc etc. I had to keep a list to remember simple, basic things. Am much better now however.

Stress can be a trigger for it. That may not be much comfort since the symptoms themselves can cause stress, and thinking what is wrong with me? It is a common symptom though. We all have stresses to deal with... but we can deal with the way we approach them, that's where therapy and being able to talk to someone helped me a lot. You need to be able to 'vent' your feelings with someone who is understanding and won't jump in to judge you.

I was fortunate to have a few close friends like that. But when others are too emotionally attached to the situation, probably best to have the objectivity of a professional/sponsor.

There are many articles on the Internet about PAWS and managing the symptoms.