Notices

Day 13 - feeling great

Old 11-19-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 13 - feeling great

Hi everyone, it's Day 13 and I'm doing well. Today I am having the high-on-life feelings that I enjoy about sobriety, and I have been glad I'm not drinking. Last night my boyfriend and I went out to dinner with my good friend and her husband at this Irish pub and restaurant that they like, and they asked me why I wasn't drinking. I said I am trying to cure my sleep disorder, which is true. Her husband is a doctor and was telling me I can have some alcohol maybe once a week, or more if it's not after 6 pm (yeah, I'm going to drink at work... okay... I very rarely drank before 6pm even when I was drinking!) I felt sad that I am the person everyone expects to drink when we are out... almost like, when they want to drink/have a fun night, they invite me, and then are suprised when I don't drink. :-/ I have to admit it was a rather weird dinner but I didn't want to drink... I was honestly really tired after a long week and just wanted to go home and curl up with a book or a movie! I must be getting really old! I've found I don't have the same desire to be out and about anymore; I mostly did that so I could drink with other drinkers. Now I would rather spend my time on more meaningful and relaxing activities.

Today I was thankful to not be hungover and instead I was able enjoy my saturday. I slept in, did some cleaning, my boyfriend and I went to a late lunch and did some shopping, and now I'm here at work so that I can get ahead and not be stressed when I go on vacation over Thanksgiving weekend. I was looking in the local free independent paper at all this stuff there is to do in my city and I wondered out loud to my boyfriend why I ever wanted to drink instead of be able to do all of these different fun things. I am really enjoying being sober this weekend and I feel like the world is mine for the taking... I feel really really good.

In the past I've had these highs and then I've gone out and drank and had to start all over again, so I'm really trying to guard against that. I am learning that my feelings and thoughts are only momentary and passing, and that if I want the good overall mood, I need to ignore any temptations to drink.

How is everyone else's weekend going? I hope well! It's nice to listen to Christmas music on the radio and feel happy and peaceful.

PS - One kind of negative side effect I'm experiencing is feeling very tired for some reason! My eyes feel droopy and I always feel like taking a nap! Also I am having very lucid dreams, sometimes good (I had a nice one about camping with my whole family last night!), and sometimes bad, including nightmares and dreams about drinking. But my sleep disorder has been doing better this past week, so, that's good.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pigtails,

I'm glad you're doing well. And, I think it's good to be cautious with the 'high' feeling of early sobriety. But, it's great that you are interested in doing new and fun things with your time.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice to read your post. I am only on day 2 of sobriety and feeling like hell I have been where you are at, and the dreams and feeling is normal. Enjoy all the feelings that will come, and like I am trying to do STAY SOBER!!! I live in Shanghai, China, so there are so many exciting things to do. But most of the time I want to lay around high
Old 11-19-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icandoit12 View Post
Nice to read your post. I am only on day 2 of sobriety and feeling like hell I have been where you are at, and the dreams and feeling is normal. Enjoy all the feelings that will come, and like I am trying to do STAY SOBER!!! I live in Shanghai, China, so there are so many exciting things to do. But most of the time I want to lay around high
"Only" on day 2 is still a good start!! Congrats and keep it up. Shanghai sounds very exciting!