SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My Journal (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/241416-my-journal.html)

DarrenW 11-19-2011 10:13 AM

My Journal

I am going to use this thread to document my recovery. Today is three days sober. Woke up without a hangover and went to gym. Ran 3 miles- then went to fantastic AA meeting. Met a possible sponsor! Wife is out of town so I am gong to clean the garage and NOT drink. Recently I would have bought a case of beer- and that probably would not have been enough. Thanks for my HP and support of wife and parents.

omenapt 11-19-2011 11:10 AM

WOW! great job...i can barely rake the leaves without keeling over..and to think just 10years ago i was swmming 6000yards/week and competing in events such as the 100yard butterlfy and 200 yd IM. i dropped off the planet in one decade and am now crawling my way back. Dont drink into your forties and fiftes, folks, its a real death sentence. 37 days here!

Dee74 11-19-2011 02:30 PM

congrats on 3 days :)

You know your own body of course, but it might pay to be a little conservative with exercise for a few days and be gentle with your body...it's been through a lot :)

D

DarrenW 11-19-2011 02:54 PM

I actually ran a lot while I was drinking. 5 plus miles several times a week. That was my justification for drinking...surely an "alcoholic could not do that" Boy was I wrong.

DarrenW 11-19-2011 04:42 PM

I would like to very much thank the following people for never, ever leaving my side- even after I left their side to hide and drink to extreme:

My parents- I am so lucky God chose them to be my parents. Some times they were tested more than parents should be

My Wife- who I embarrassed on many occasions because I became drunk in front of others. Not to mention the many times I was mean to her.

My Son and Daughter who watched- when I wasnt hiding- their father act like a total idiot and jerk while under the influence.

I will NEVER drink again.

Anna 11-19-2011 04:44 PM

Darren, I'm glad you're doing well!

sugarbear1 11-19-2011 05:16 PM

Congrats on your decision to stay stopped! Thanks for beginning an online journal.

May I suggest getting a calendar or notepaper and a pen so you can write a few sentences each day? There is something more cathartic about a hand-written journal.

Tigger41 11-19-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenW (Post 3176694)
I would like to very much thank the following people for never, ever leaving my side- even after I left their side to hide and drink to extreme:

My parents- I am so lucky God chose them to be my parents. Some times they were tested more than parents should be

My Wife- who I embarrassed on many occasions because I became drunk in front of others. Not to mention the many times I was mean to her.

My Son and Daughter who watched- when I wasnt hiding- their father act like a total idiot and jerk while under the influence.

I will NEVER drink again.

Powerful post. Thanks for writing.

JustLiving 11-19-2011 06:23 PM

Congrats on Day 3 DarrenW! May you see many more sober days, months, years! :You_Rock_

4me1 11-19-2011 06:56 PM

Good job Darren. I am also a runner and would justify that since I ran I deserved to drink when ever I wanted. I looked back at some running logs and diaries and actually found comments I made like. I wonder how much better I could run or recover If I did not drink so much. in denial. Wish you the best on sobriety, you can do it! This site is and a great tool.

DarrenW 11-20-2011 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments. 4 Days now :) Went to Church and to an early Thanksgiving at my in-laws. No urges to date!

mechanicpsyco 11-20-2011 03:38 PM

powerful post, inspiring. trust me i understand the case of beer garage thing. Thanks so much for posting this, i will keep up an look forward to more!!

Anna 11-20-2011 03:42 PM

Good work, Darren!

tanja 11-20-2011 04:59 PM

Darren, keep it up! We are all behind you:)

sugarbear1 11-20-2011 09:09 PM

Keep moving forward!

DarrenW 11-21-2011 07:49 PM

Five days without a Drink; One day without cigarettes. Figured I might as well quit them too. I wasnt much more than a social smoker (unless I was drinking beer of course). Its great not smelling like smoke. Went to my daughters basketball game and visited with parents for awhile.

Should be clear sailing Tues-Friday. Aint drinking no more :)

Jenners 11-21-2011 08:01 PM

So happy to hear how well you are doing, very inspiring. The unimaginable has become your reality. That is so great you have such strong support around you. I hope you continue to document everything!

DarrenW 11-22-2011 06:48 PM

Six days without a Drink; Two days without cigarettes. No problems so far. Worked today, ran three miles in the afternoon, volunteered at Church for over two hours, now ready for bed. Ate about 300 chips ahoy cookies unfortunately!

I have an AA meeting Wed night- its a new group so I will be a little apprehensive at first. Thanks for listening.

Jenners 11-22-2011 07:12 PM

Great to hear you have been doing so well. It must be amazing getting out of the house and doing social activities. And congratulations on the fitness as well. You must feel great :)

DarrenW 11-23-2011 08:11 PM

7 days without a drink, but I did smoke a few cigarettes today :( However...I did run five miles and helped my wife start making Thanksgiving dinner. Didn't attend an AA meeting since I felt like my wife needed the help!

One week down, eternity to go! Happy Thanksgiving and God bless!