Notices

Day Four - made it!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Four - made it!

Well, I made it. Tough afternoon. On the West Coast for a family wedding this weekend. Everyone's been hanging out at the bar since 4pm (me included) and then moved to one of the hospitality suites where there is more booze. But all I had was club soda! I just told everyone I was taking medication and could not drink while on it. Didn't feel like dealing with it any other way right now. Too early and do not want to detract from the happy occasion. Everyone seemed cool with it. I had a BIG craving around 6pm which is my usual time to drink and I thought I would cave, but the feeling passed. Once I got past it, it did not come back.

Repeat this tomorrow for the wedding and reception and I will be that much closer to a week!

Thanks everyone! I am glad I came back to this site for support. It's been a big help as I try to beat this thing while on the road.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Nice work Marine i am so happy for you to make it through. keep it up and keep comin here .

Easy does it for the rest of your weekend , hug
Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats! Tough weekend indeed.

Do you have an escape plan for the reception just in case the cravings hit hard?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Marine28, it is great that how you just let that craving go away by itself. They do that. They are feelings and feelings are temporary.

I am only on day 9 myself, but still I feel so much better than when I quit. And also quit a bit better than on my own day 4. I hope you stick it out and build yourself a happier life! You can do it!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Marine. Wow day 4 already huh? That's great. Stick with the on medication great excuse. Do anything you have to not to drink. Have fun watching people get drunk and imagen you being drunk and acting like an ass. Then go look at yourself in the mirror and see the new you. The not drunk, in control adult. And BE proud.

You can make it through this and maybe you'll find out that most people don't care if you drink or not. I was surprised by how many people don't care if I drink or not and the ones that do I believe have a problem or are on their way.

Enjoy the wedding and we're here if you need support.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations Marine. Recommend you come up with a game plan to get through the impending event. As suggested an escape plan, relapse prevention thinking, a sober friend to call or hang out with at the wedding. Also, constructive thinking might
include: thought stopping - I am not going think about that; I've already made my decision. Thought substitution - I'm in danger - I'd better be alert; Challenging your addictive voice - Where is the evidence? Is this thought or belief true or
valid? How does this thought serve my best interest? Coping Statements: this feeling will eventually pass; It's hard, but not too hard; Positive Affirmation: I have said no to myself before - I can do so again; I'm going to treasure my sobriety. Review of Goals: I want to stop drinking; it's my goal. Reviw of negative consequences: I cannot have a few drinks without taking many more and getting drunk; the years I have wasted being drunk and/or hungover. Reframing: Look at the situation from another angle or another person's viewpoint (a sober person). Look at the benefits of choosing not to engage in the addictive behavior. Rational Emotive Imagery: Imagine yourself behaving or feelng differently about the situation (focus on the joyous and fesitive ocassion).
Old 11-19-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Marine, stay strong! It will feel so awesome when you make it through the weekend!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, it will be challenging but I think I will be okay. The wedding and reception is about 5 miles from the hotel and there is a shuttle service back and forth, so people don't have to drink and drive. So I am not dependent on anyone for a ride back. The early morning flight back home is also a good excuse when I need to leave the "after party."
Have a good rest of the weekend.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome Marnie! I'll bet you felt really good this morning both mentally and physically. No hangovers sure beats the temporary "fun" of the night before.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Waking up without a hangover was awesome. Just saw some family in the fitness center who were not feeling so good and trying to sweat it out. That was me once.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Marine! Just a few days ago you didn't think you'd make it through day 1 and look at you now! Doesn't it feel good?

Keep it up; we are all very proud of you!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job Marine!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you!!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So proud of you Marine. Great job
Old 11-19-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

great job Marine

D
Old 11-19-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Marine28! I hope I can accomplish what you have in 4 days from now!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done Marine

Especially under the circumstances. Good luck on tomorrow wedding.

CaiHong