Notices

Duck and cover...yikes!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Duck and cover...yikes!

What a day! I had my snow tires put on today and went to do some shopping afterwards. I was in the store about 30 minutes and my next stop was the gym. Started the truck and put it in first gear and just sat there spinning my tires. The LED on the parking brake was on, but when I pulled the disengage it wouldn't work. I could go backwards, but not forwards.

I had to get towed back to the garage (took 50 mins for the tow to arrive). The garage did take full responsibility for the problem - the parking brake was seized and frozen (it is freaking cold here with -29 windchill).

I finally get back home (no gym - the entire afternoon blown) - my husband had been in town too with the other vehicle and new what I had to go through. He comes waltzing in the house with 2 bottles of wine and says to me - I thought you would really love this since you've had such a hard day. He had my favourite! OMG talk about a moment of OH CRAP! I was aching to have a glass.

I said no. he's like...what? I wrestled internally with myself and just kept on thinking that one will only lead to the entire two bottles.

Nights not over yet but I think I'm safe.

Remind me guys - I could use the feedback!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have it nailed already Genie
one will only lead to the entire two bottles.
I'm sorry for your rough day - but there are more positive life affirming ways to destress - watch a funny movie, take a long bath, listen to some favorite music, do a little light exercise even, or the other extreme, eat some chocolate...I'm sure you can think of other ways too

Does your husband not 'get' it?

D
Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Deep down inside you know that drinking would be a bad thing. Think back to all of the reasons you decided to quit in the first place. Also, if possible perhaps you can dump the wine, it may seem like money wasted, but your sobriety is worth far more than the cost of two bottles of wine. Your sobriety is priceless. You deserve to live a happy, healthy sober life.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee - I have already eaten my chocolate muffin and it was very good! My husband knows that I am not drinking, but not that I am wanting to give it up for good. He was not trying to be mean. I've not told him about my plans. Reason being if I decide I ever want to drink again, I don't take kindly to someone telling me I shouldn't.

My shopping trip consisted of buying paint and supplies and I am going to paint our spare bedroom and redecorate it. A project :-)

I'm feeling good right now - I had a cup of tea with my chocolate muffin.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Primrose - I can't pour the wine away - it's not mine. My husband likes to have a glass or two on the weekends. He doesn't have a problem.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through your difficult day.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We get stonger every time we make it through one of those temptations. It gets easier as you go along. Good job, Genie!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can see how that would make for a difficult day..... you should feel really good for not giving in to the urge to drink.

Do you not think your husband would be supportive if you told him what you're doing? I just think it would have been stressful in the first day/weeks to have alcohol around.

-29 windchill is crazy..... I'm a little envious of the snow, though! (haven't had much since I moved down south).
Old 11-19-2011, 02:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reason being if I decide I ever want to drink again, I don't take kindly to someone telling me I shouldn't
Pardon me for being forward but this quote sounds to me like you have already made up your mind that you will drink again.

I say that because in my first attempts at sobriety I hated to tell people I quit for the same reason. I was also afraid of looking like a failure when I knew deep down I would drink again.
Give some thought to telling your husband you QUIT. More support and being held accountable will help you if you are truly ready.

Great job on resisting temptation after a difficult day.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarylandRick View Post
Pardon me for being forward but this quote sounds to me like you have already made up your mind that you will drink again.

I say that because in my first attempts at sobriety I hated to tell people I quit for the same reason. I was also afraid of looking like a failure when I knew deep down I would drink again.
Give some thought to telling your husband you QUIT. More support and being held accountable will help you if you are truly ready.

Great job on resisting temptation after a difficult day.
Oh you are absolutely correct Rick - I am giving myself wiggle room. I am just not ready to make my BIG PLAN.

I am happy this morning - I didn't drink, but I did eat two chocolate muffins. I have to get that bedtime snacking under control.

Thanks for the support!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FML

We seem to be in the same boat. You commented on my post last night, and now I happen to come across your post here..2 bottles of your favorite wine, just like my mom brought 2 bottles of my favorite (not preffered brand but still).
Good job on not giving in. I ended up having half a glass, my husband gave me his because he didn't like it. Luckily that's all I had. I haven't told him I might be trying to give it up, because I don't have a plan and I'm giving myself wiggle room as well.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go Genie!

I went through a really hard job loss this week and stayed sober through it.

Keep your chin up.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Genie. Man you sound like me. My other half asked me if I wanted a wine cellar for Christmas. Has no clue how much of an issue this is for me. We'll get through this together. Just keep saying no thanks. My guess is after awhile they'll stop asking. It's hard though. I'll give you that!!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FML View Post
We seem to be in the same boat. You commented on my post last night, and now I happen to come across your post here..2 bottles of your favorite wine, just like my mom brought 2 bottles of my favorite (not preffered brand but still).
Good job on not giving in. I ended up having half a glass, my husband gave me his because he didn't like it. Luckily that's all I had. I haven't told him I might be trying to give it up, because I don't have a plan and I'm giving myself wiggle room as well.
FLM - it was not easy. I actually put his glass up to my nose and smelled it. It smelled like want - but I didn't need it. I just kept reading threads on this forum. I watched him drink and had an internal battle going on in my head. There is still about 1/2 of the bottle left this morning. Now, if I had of taken that first glass, I know (and I'd bet my house on this) that both those bottles would be gone this morning.

I wrote myself a letter the other day. it was quite a nasty letter detailing how awful I feel after way too much drinking and what it does to my physically and all the stupid things I've done. I wrote that in hopes that I will read it when I am tempted to drink again - to remind myself why it's pointless to take that drink.

Yeah wiggle room - too bad that wasn't just the name of space in my house. Keep trying FLM, don't give up.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tigger41 View Post
Genie. Man you sound like me. My other half asked me if I wanted a wine cellar for Christmas. Has no clue how much of an issue this is for me. We'll get through this together. Just keep saying no thanks. My guess is after awhile they'll stop asking. It's hard though. I'll give you that!!
If we had a wine cellar I'd just move my bed and tv into it - oh and a toilet.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ahhh, Genie - I missed a very important quote from one of your above posts!

but not that I am wanting to give it up for good.
Think about this question with some deep thought for a moment..

What am I giving up?

Remember when you're thinking about this question you should look HERE and let us know what you're giving up .