Notices

Um...not really new....just back....

Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Um...not really new....just back....

Hi all my dear fellow soberarians...it has been 10 months since my last playdate with booze. I knew upon the situations and circumstances surrounding that last playdate that it would be the last. It has.
It has been a long year for me...separation...new job(s)....renting house...rehab...AA...building relationships....gaining trust...all a part of the recovery.
My latest endevour and the reason for my cyber absence was a move. I packed up and moved 1480 miles to be closer to brother, son and grandbaby. It was a long trek of organizing, packing, situating, unpacking, etc. We've all been there at one time or another but this drive is never one I want to ever do again. I've driven across this country a few times and this was my last.
I have moved from the prairie to the south east coast civilization and have had to put my Jersey girl driving skills into full force. LOL
I have an apartment, had a job within days of moving and finally finally got my internet re-established. (long technical story)
Now that I have interent I can now access online schedules and meetings for AA. I'm sure there are a million here a week compared to one a week on the prairie.
Life has been awesome. Besides the fact that my poor betta fish didn't make the trip, I stepped on my new glasses, my sideview mirror flew off on the highway, UHaul hasn't reimbursed me for a difference in my bill and I'm waiting divorce papers...my life has certainly been a journey of epic proportions this past year. My advice to newcomers...do as they say, just take it one day at a time.
Peace be with you all.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey great to 'see' you ER - I wondered how you were
Life sounds good!

D
Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Life is awesome, Dee.
As I was driving (alone) across the country I couldn't help to think what a disaster it would be had I still been drinking. Heck, I may have ended up in your neck of the woods. Hehe
Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on 10 months!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time!!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations ER! You sound like a strong, independent woman - and such a doer! Best wishes in your new locale.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good to see you here again..congrats on your move and sober time!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, EmeraldRose!

I've made many long distance moves too, and I know it can be tiring tryin to get all the loose ends tied up. It's good to see you back!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome back EmeraldRose! Great to see you again, and I hope all the changes will lead to happiness and contentment for you.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It's great to read your post, Emerald - Congratulations on 10 months and making it through the move! That really would be an awful thing to have to do with a hangover. (I think about that, too, when I'm having a challenging day.... I just imagine a hangover on top of it, and right away I realize things could always be worse!)

Glad you checked in!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Emerald so nice to see you again, I wondered what happened to you also hug

Wow wh
Old 11-18-2011, 11:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

My message didnt go threw lol,

Wow what a 10 months you had , good work on being such an inspiration for newcomers as well as people with time under there belt.

Glad to see you back and look foward to seeing you around again
Old 11-18-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 months. That is fantastic. And I admire your courage and determination in building a new life, whatever big changes you have had to make.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Emerald! Glad to see you back and congrats on the 10 months!!!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, I remember you from when I first came to SR, you helped me a lot. :-) I'm glad to know you are doing well and that you're maintaining your sobriety. Congrats! I myself went on an on-again off-again inconsistent battle with drinking/recovery but am currently on Day 13 and am determined to stick with it.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pigtails...I'm not sure how many attempts you have but any attempt is better than ignorance. I 'stopped' for years but only quit once. I can't count how many times I woke thinking "I'm not going to drink today". Well, that lasted all of the morning, by afternoon I was hitting the liquor store. This went on for years. As it's said, you need to want to quit drinking more than you want that drink.

These are a few "I've learned" quotes that I like to keep in mind when I feel worn and beaten...

1. I've learned that you can keep going long after you can't.
2. I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel. That either you control your attitude or it controls you.
3. I've learned that no matter how bad your heart is broken the world doesn't stop for your grief.
4. I've learned that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.
5. I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to the best others can do.
6. I've learned that it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

You're almost 2 weeks in Pigtails...keep on swimming.

Oh and thank you all for your warm re-welcome. LOL Hopefully, I'll be back more often...I just got to the point where I had to deal with me -before I could be a friend or good listener to all the thoughts and ideas here. I know you understand.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
Pigtails...I'm not sure how many attempts you have but any attempt is better than ignorance. I 'stopped' for years but only quit once. I can't count how many times I woke thinking "I'm not going to drink today". Well, that lasted all of the morning, by afternoon I was hitting the liquor store. This went on for years. As it's said, you need to want to quit drinking more than you want that drink.

These are a few "I've learned" quotes that I like to keep in mind when I feel worn and beaten...

1. I've learned that you can keep going long after you can't.
2. I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel. That either you control your attitude or it controls you.
3. I've learned that no matter how bad your heart is broken the world doesn't stop for your grief.
4. I've learned that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.
5. I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to the best others can do.
6. I've learned that it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

You're almost 2 weeks in Pigtails...keep on swimming.

Oh and thank you all for your warm re-welcome. LOL Hopefully, I'll be back more often...I just got to the point where I had to deal with me -before I could be a friend or good listener to all the thoughts and ideas here. I know you understand.
I do understand but I'm glad you're back. :-)

I think I made it ten days the first time I was here, then I slipped and then I did, I don't know maybe 5 days after that, before I slipped again, and I went for a few months not caring/ just telling myself I didn't have a problem and didn't need to not drink. Then I went through a period of oscillating between wondering if I had a problem/ trying to address it, and still thinking I had no problem. Finally I came back after my boyfriend got arrested for DWI after I had decided not to drink (and made it maybe 3 days) and then asked him to take me for a beer after I had a big fight/falling out with my best friend... so I felt like I could have easily gotten the DWI if I had been the one driving. I just felt like all my "free chances" were up and I needed to address my drinking again.

So I came back here (I was gone for a few months) and made it for 17 days which is my longest stretch yet, until Halloween weekend came up and I decided, oh I can have a few drinks or even get drunk on special occassions... which lasted for a week and a half or so until I reigned myself back into reality and thought, no, I need to keep addressing this and not drinking. (Nothing "bad" happened as a result of my drinking a few times during that week and a half, but I just realized I felt much happier and healthier when I was sober, and I had been headed towards something good, and wanted to get back on that path).

So that leads to my current Day 13 and I am focused on making it to Day 33 on my birthday in December... I don't want to drink then or ever, but it's helping me to set small goals for future sobriety dates and then keep going from there. I don't know if that's a good way to do it or not, but it's helping me right now.

Thanks for sharing what you've learned. I am learning to be patient with myself and to ignore my temporary thoughts and feelings in order to stay focused on my overall goal of sobriety. It's good to have you back, and I thank you for the help!