Notices

Wow!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Wow!!!

Okay, this probably sounds stupid but it was a big thing to me. Have had this pair of jeans that for many years have had a hole in the right front pocket. Another of those things that in my drunken mind I'd simply get to, one of these days.

Today was one of those days. Several days ago, I set this pair of jeans aside, in plain view. Today, I searched out a needle and some thread (not sure how I remember where that stuff was.) Incredibly, I was able to thread the eye on only the second attempt. Then I sewed!

Okay, it was only about a 2" hole right on the seam of the pocket, but my hands didn't shake, I saw only one needle instead of two, didn't take a "shot break" in between then just throw it all in a pile for another day and now, I can actually put things in there without losing them in the parking lot of a Walmart. Yes, it wasn't a pretty sewing job but just the fact that I don't have a dozen bleeding pokes in my finger and I remembered to tie the knot when I was done is just simply amazing!

I guess it just goes to show that sometimes even the most simplistic of tasks become a great achievement after having been through a long period of being an ineffective drunk like myself! And that's only at 24 days, imagine what I can do when it's 60 or 90 days! World, watch out!!!

Good luck all, hope you all have success that exceeds your expectations!

Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! I know I've been getting a lot of stuff crossed off of my to do list since I started living life in the clear lane. I used to think alcohol made me a super man of sorts, turns out it was really more like Kryptonite!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great, pikkle...reminds me to have gratitude for where I am today instead of kicking my ass for where I'm not. Nice going!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's a lot of joy in the little things.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great, Pikkle.

I was surprised by how many little things brought joy to my life when I stopped drinking.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pikkle that is not a little thing. It represents a huge change in you. I let so many things slide, too. I always thought I was organized & on top of things, but when I got sober and started really looking at some of the stuff I'd done (or not done ) I was shocked.

It's good to be part of life again - mending holes in jeans and stuff! Yay us.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yay!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I've actually taken on many small projects since I detoxed. One thing I absolutely hated doing was cleaning the kitchen!!! For many years, there had been an unspoken agreement between me and my fiancé that I did the laundry and she did the dishes. Well, over the last couple of weeks, I have become literally an OC madman when it comes to keeping the kitchen clean! If there's a single tooth pick out of place, I'm on it like a bat out of hell!

Yes, there is much satisfaction in the little things, more so than ever since deciding to become sober!

Thanks all for the support, even when I'm positive that what I feel is foolish and petty, you don't let me!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pikkle...three words for you

" I Get It "..lol -
Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It was a pleasure reading your post, and I really know what you mean. For me it was getting out of bed very early to walk my dogs before work ...it blows me away that I haven't missed a morning yet and it has been 100 mornings. (Now if only the dogs knew what weekends were....)

It's great taking care of things, isn't it? Congratulations.