Notices

Kinda freaking out

Old 11-19-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

So how are you doing on day three? Been thinking of you as I was doing my chores today and hoping you're alright. The first few days are the worst, at least they were for me, but by day four and five I was starting to feel somewhat human again.

Please check in if you can and let us know how you're doing. We care, ya know!:ghug3
Old 11-19-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Least...
It seems as though my Day 3 is the worst so far BUT I'm hanging in there! I just feel so blah, tired, disoriented and little sick but not so much so that I can't deal with it. Been staying in bed for the most part (with Sophie..) . The meds help. What I'm most concerned about is having to go into work Monday. I will only be in and out because I have the appointment with the shrink that morning. The cravings haven't been too bad but then again I haven't had and social "triggers" yet either.

I guess I'm just still worried about who the "sober me" is going to be, especially in social situations. The one thing I'm NOT going to miss is constantly thinking, "oh-oh, have I OVER medicated myself and can people tell I'm $hitfaced."

Makes me think of the other quote I love so much, "I'd rather stay silent and be thought a fool, than open my mouth and remove all doubt."..Mark Twain.

Today I am MOST thankful for all the truly wonderful folks here at SR. ESPECIALLY the few who have gone above and beyond, you know who you are :ghug3
Old 11-19-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guess I'm just still worried about who the "sober me" is going to be, especially in social situations
I think we all worry about that - but in my experience sober me is a lot more comfortable to be around, for me and for other people, than drunk me

just let it be for now - it'll be ok

D
Old 11-19-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love that Twain quote myself. Just hang in there as best you can. I promise you'll feel better with each passing day. You're almost over the hump now, don't sell yourself short.

Jack and Snoopy and Patchie-poo all send you and Sophie their doggie love.

Snuggling with furry friends has a calming effect.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Great job so far Nikoneer. One thing that has really amazed me since I have gotten sober is how much peace I have because of no longer living a lie and constantly hiding from others. Once you get a chunk of sober time under your belt I think you'll find that a lot of your issues work themselves out - like who the sober you is.

Stay strong!
Old 11-19-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It's going to get better, Nikoneer...... think of it as though you're recovering from the flu or an operation and just take it easy, like you're doing. (Vitamins, especially B vitamins, liquids and some good food all help, too)

Also, you don't have to have anything figured out right now. I know that, for me, it was enough to get through the day sober. I spent all my free time reading here, indulged myself in whatever I wanted to eat, just whatever would make it easier.

It really, really, really does get better, so keep going! We're all behind you!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

So how are you doing on your day four? Hoping you're starting to feel better. :ghug3
Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Least and thank you ALL so very, very much for all the encouragement! Suffice to say I would not be where I am without the help, advice and most of all the understanding you all have given me. Once through this I most certainly will "Pay It Forward" in every way I can.

Well it's my Day 4. The withdraws have not been as bad as I thought they'd be considering how much I was drinking everyday. I am still very anxious about seeing the shrink and going to work tomorrow but am resolved to NOT go back to what I "thought" was working for me.... booze. I hope this shrink's ready for someone like me cause I got a boatload of of stuff, skeletons and demons stashed away in what's left of that brain of mine. Come to think of it, as much of a case study as I'll probably be she should be paying ME

The closer I get to Monday the more intense my cravings are to take just a little nip to get me through BUT I WILL NOT. I don't know how I will handle business sober but as I told a very dear friend of mine, "I'd rather be a sober idiot than a drunken fool". I'm going to remain sober and let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

God Bless you! You are an inspiration to me
Old 11-20-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tanja View Post
God Bless you! You are an inspiration to me
DITTO tanja! A very BIG DITTO
:ghug3
Old 11-20-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

I get such a kick out of others' successes. I get a 'high' feeling of joy that's wonderful and does me a world of good.

So glad you're determined to make it. The early days/weeks can be rough, no doubt, but the reward for staying the course is so great. I am rewarded every morning when I wake up feeling good and happy.

(((Nikoneer))) Take good care of yourself and Sophie.:ghug3 Just think of how much better a 'doggie daddy' you'll be sober.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Will be away from my computer for over a week but will be thinking of you every day and hoping you're alright. Stick close to Sophie and she'll keep you feeling right.

You can do this.:ghug3
Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well done Nikoneer. You had me worried for a bit there... I'd all but written you off...

Thanks for doing the uncommon thing and taking the more difficult path! You can do this.

It does get easier.

Good luck with the shrink on Monday. Give that dog a pat on the head from all of us.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very proud of you, Nikoneer. It's great you're so open about what you're going through. That is key.

I know we keep saying it, but it can't be stressed enough - you will go through many phases as you get well. The fog is lifting & the sun will shine brightly again. You're doing this thing.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

So how are you doing on your fifth day of sobriety? I hope work went well and that the visit to the shrink was a positive thing. Stop by and tell us how you're doing. :ghug3
Old 11-21-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yes, please let us know how you are!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Just wanted to publicly post an update.
Seen my shrink this morning and she is a wonderful gal. Talked about how I felt my drinking was actually a symptom of the greater problem, my social anxieties. She seemed to understand, changed my meds a little and I see her in 2 weeks again.

The xanax has worked WONDERS for me so I'm a little nervous about switching but I'm going to trust her advice. Went to work in the afternoon and it felt SOOOO good to feel "normal" without having to drink my way there. I only had a few slight cravings for the bottle (which I used to hide in the trash can.. ) but they dissipated quickly. Tomorrow will be a bit tougher with a few key meetings but I think it'll be okay. Even if it isn't I am NOT going to quit. The chips can just fall where they may cause I ain't going back to "that" miserable place of drinking to feel better.

So thanks to some very special people and ALL of you I now have 5 Days under my belt and I ain't looking back! I just want to say to those who may come upon this and read it if someone who hit rock bottom like I did can do this YOU can to!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

So how's it going on day six? Early days can be up and down, but still starting to feel better and better each passing sober day. I am pleased for you as I remember so well my last time of trying to stay sober...

Remember, we're all rooting for you.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This is day seven, isn't it? Hoping all is well in your world. Please stop in and let us know how you're doing.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Nikoneer, come on back and update us as to how you're doing. I care.:ghug3