Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just joined yesterday, can't say I have any sobriety under my belt...but I bet that's gotta feel SO GOOD. I read somewhere else on here "I just don't see what the point is" he'd/she'd been sober for some length of time, and seemed to be ready to give up. Do you ever feel this way? I have, for smoking...and subsequently started smoking.

If you do ever feel this way, how do you make it not a problem, or...I don't know a "temptation". It's just a mind *uck, really, I know that, but I know me, and I could see me doing this, in the future.....which right now? SEEMS A MILLION MILES AWAY.

Thanks in advance for any insight you would be able to provide.......:ghug3

Best Wishes:

GerriBlue
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unhappy Anyone who will listen

I guess I need to post some stuff before I have full range of the site....not that I'm blowing air here, but, for the sake of the (I'm sure well thought out "rules") I will say:

A poem I'm "flinging" and I don't mean to say that it doesn't have meaning, it truly does....just coming off the "fly" I guess...

My recovery has been endless
My success stops every day

My love for others is infinity
My love for me at bay

I want to stop so badly
I see the good in that!

But what I DO is never
The intentions I layed flat

Help my self, oh I beg of me
Help me you! You are the trunk

Of an ENTIRE tree!

Leaves golden eyed and blue
They SO SO look up to you

And if you don't stop
It is DOWN they will stew

Mad as hell they will be
Cuz you could not find

The strength to be to yourself: KIND
You keep telling yourself you will

But you dont! And soon they will be FILLED
WITH HATE, CONTEMPT, AND SORROW

BECAUSE FOR YOU THERE WILL BE

NO
Tomorrow
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Gerri!

I'm glad you found us and decided to join.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I just joined this week myself ... on Day 4. Lots of good stuff here.

I can identify with the "SEEMS A MILLION MILES AWAY" comment. Right now I'm putting a lot of faith in the stories I'm learning in this forum. One step at a time!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by GerriBlue View Post
I read somewhere else on here "I just don't see what the point is" he'd/she'd been sober for some length of time, and seemed to be ready to give up. Do you ever feel this way?
My first 6 months of getting sober were tough. Wondered when I was going to see the benefits of not drinking. But, I plugged away at my recovery, never gave in to the tempation to drink, and eventually my recovery made sense. I love being sober and for a long time I thought I'd never say that.

If someone has a lot of sober days under their belt and they decide to chuck it in, I'd say that the foundation of their recovery was weak. Or the aren't in recovery, they are just abstaining.

Sobriety is more than just not drinking. You have to work on the things that made you drink. That's why new members are encouraged to find face-to-face support to help them with the other issues.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day two for me- so I cant offer much advise. Only that day one was hard, day two is hard, and I am sure this weekend will be hard.

BUT- I AINT DRINKING NO MORE
Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gerri

I found support really helped me keep my commitment to my recoevry - it's a lot different trying to beat this thing on your own, than it is being in a community like this one.

We still have to do the work and keep the commitment ourselves, but I think it does make it a little easier to have support, and maybe even to feel a little accountable to a group

You'll find a lot of support here
Welcome!

D
Old 11-18-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, stick around SR and read a lot. It can make a difference.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Gerri! Welcome It's hard for me to answer your question as I only have 28 days sober. But, I agree with Carl - these past 28 days have been rough. However, I have NO intention of throwing in the towel. The alternative is really not living and the inevitable death from progression of this addiction. Change is never easy, but faith keeps me going
Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support and useful information here. With the help of the members here, and my weekly counseling sessions, I'm coming up on two years sober.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Early on in my attempts I had the attitude of "what's the point" and I relapsed every single time and that went on for 15 years. I finally got into attack mode with the problem instead of denial mode. I sought out people that had similar experiences - like the people on this website. I studied why I was drinking. I took a hard look at myself and my shortcomings, but also remembered how it was when I was sober and how much better it was and how much better I felt about myself.

I also sought out face to face support. If you attack the problem and focus you can succeed.