Notices

Brain farts, confusion after 3 weeks

Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain farts, confusion after 3 weeks

Anyone else have this? I'm at Day 25. I notice that I have little moments of confusion -- like the other day I took the grocery cart out to my car and unloaded it. Took the cart back into the store. When I came back out, I forgot where I had parked. ???

Also, some days I wake up and feel a little confused about the night before. It feels a little like the old days in that I feel surprised or dismayed about something I said or did the night before. Only now I can't blame it on the alcohol. It's like I feel not quite in control of the way I am thinking.

Background -- I drank for 10+ years, with most of the last 5 or 6 being daily drinking round the clock to total inebriation, blackout and/or pass out.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I was a long time drinker, and a round-the-clock drinker too. I can relate to how you're feeling. It takes awhile for your body (including your brain) to recover, repair, recreate itself, etc. ... Cell by cell by cell ..... In the beginning of my sobriety, I had hoped that I'd be "all better" after a couple of weeks ... But I had numbness that lasted for a long time, same with my weird digestion, and also with bouts of confusion from time to time. Oddly, sleep came easily. (I think I lucked out with that, because most people seem to have problems with sleep.) Everything else, though, it was little by little by little .. months and closer to a year for some things to really feel normal.

You're doing awesomly, especially after being a daily round-the-clocker, as I was. Every day/week/month feels better than the one before ... Congrats!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Oh yeah, I'm in the same fog a lot of the times... full time clarity still eludes me. When I'm in the kitchen and I am going for a bowl, I open the cupboard with the glasses even though the configuration of my kitchen hasn't changed in over a dozen years! As others have stated, it will take time for the brain to completely re-wire, alcohol was taking the place of many brain chemicals for a long time and the body has to remember how to produce them and send them to the correct receptors... it's getting better for me day by day, albeit slowly but better never-the-less. Nothing to worry about too much... good luck!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

LOL! I don't mean to laugh, but I know just what you are going through, and it gets better. The fog will clear, probably within a month. And then you'll have new delightful challenges. Keep on keeping on, its a long, strange trip, but a wonderful one.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lol...yep. Still waiting for the fog to clear.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

It's clearing slowly but surely... could notice a difference between weeks 1 and 2, between 2 and 3, and now entering 4th week of sobriety, feeling much better, not 100% yet but gradually going in that direction (not the opposite thank goodness!) One thing that's been helping me is getting out of the house everyday and being around public places, something I rarely did when I was drinking!