Notices

Addiction & Creative Types?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

im studying art therapy...and music saves my life...i wonder if its not the tendency for the creative to be an addict but the addict to search for other ways to self soothe. art appeared first in my life but after a while it no longer took what i wanted to avoid away...so i found other means
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Most of the artsy types I have known are a bit off center. A good many of them have or still do abuse some substances. I think the opportunity to drink and drug in their own private studio makes it easy to do that sort of thing.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Well, I am not sure of the %s of addicts that are creative types, but based on the people I've come across in recovery I don't notice a greater % of creative types.

Maybe the majority of the addicted "artists" never make it into recovery? Or maybe they don't do 12 step, because in the meetings I have gone to, and the conventions etc, there doesn't appear to be a remarkable number of artsy types.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

There always seems to be slightly larger egos with a lot of creative/artistic types and this is what may be holding them back from getting help, or attempting recovery... many I have known seem to have had a romanticized vision of self-destruction as well. Maybe it just comes with the turf.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lots of interesting commentary here, folks. Thanks for weighing in!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I used to be creative before I deluged myself in libations full time, hopefully some of that will return as sobriety goes on...
Old 11-18-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey pikkle!

I could barely force myself to paint at the end. Now I'm having my best year ever...I believe it will come back for you
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Yeah I don't know if it's a stereotype or what, but it seems to be true. I think it's a correlation vs. causation issue: not like being creative makes you more susceptible to chemical dependance, but drug and alcohol abuse is so rampant in the creative circles, IME.

FWIW I have also written and performed music my whole life -- wrote my first song at 5 and I'm still pumping them out.

Since I got clean I've put together a modest mobile recording rig and have been working on finishing a long overdue solo album. I've been more productive in the last 7 months than I was for the whole time I was drinking.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

An interesting thought on the topic. A friend who is a well known artist (works in mAjor museums; represented by a major gallery) has a theme to his work which revolves around the myth of the destructive artist. People think that artists are all like Van Gogg when in reality most are like Monet. The truth is...to be a successful creative you can't be a mess...at least not for long
Old 11-19-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm a writer.

Well, for a profession I do something else, because I didn't want to be a starving writer (although sometimes it seems like an attractive life and I often think of just going to get an MFA and concentrating on writing for a few years).

But ever since I could read and write, I've loved the written word and have been very passionte about literature and writing. I've written since I was young and have had some things published. I should write more often but I do belong to a local writing group that meets every week, and I try to honor my creative side along with my professional, "rational" side.

I do think there is a link between creativity and addiction. Or maybe it's just my personality/ some creative peoples' personality... I'm a free spirit, curious, over-analytical, explorative, impulsive... I want to live every experience I can and I have problems with boundaries and structure. To me it makes sense that a person with my personality would be an alcoholic, whereas some people are more naturally rational thinkers and prone to discipline and structure (I'm not saying that these people can't become alcoholics too.)
Old 11-22-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am mainly a painter but do all sorts of art. Most of my circle of friends are artists and I know tons of artists who aren't addicts.

I've been drawing since I was young and I've always liked surreal images and fanciful things and like, vaguely psychedelic abstractions and it's always bothered me when people look at my stuff and are like "whoa you must do a lot of drugs lolz!". I never found my drinking or drug abuse particularly inspiring and kind of balk at the idea that "all great artists are addicts" and that their talent is somehow tied to abusing substances.

I mean, I don't doubt that there could be some deep down connection between addiction and creation, but I think it's a lot more subtle than the idea that like, "drugs make the world look all weird and that inspires artists to make things".

I have a lot of anxiety around creating things. I am a people pleaser and approval seeker and art is something I've been praised for my whole life and I've always been terrified if I don't live up to people's expectations of me then I won't be loved. I used to feel like I had to drink to make something because it dulled the fear I had when approaching a project.

I've actually been making a ton of stuff since I quit drinking though. I feel really driven to improve my work and hone and fine tune my skills. I've always been so afraid of failing or not getting something right the first time but it's suddenly clicked for me that that's the only way you can really learn something.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great post feralheart! You articulated everything I used to feel...now I am creating what I want as opposed to what my friends and family want...well I'm trying anyway
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've been an artist since I can remember. I did get accepted to art school but my journey took me down another road and I had my son...when I drank I didn't draw. I quit that rather than the drinking. My first sober art piece is in my pix folder here. Its my doggie!
I've always drawn pictures, took all the commercial art classes I could, made signs, logos, painted wall pictures, painted on jackets/vests, made christmas ornaments...the list is endless.
I don't know how much addiction has to do with creative minds...but I'm also a southpaw and they say lots of things about us, too! Like a double whammy! LOL
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Creative Types

I too am a creative type, everything from writing (you could not tell it on here, no spell check) to music, to painting and I start companies all over the world.. seems to be a theme..
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Interesting, I am studying art therapy and have a very addictive personality. Im addicted to art but unfortunately addicted to a lot of other things that arents so good for me too.