Notices

Fre Non Alcoholic Wines....

Old 11-17-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fre Non Alcoholic Wines....

What are peoples thoughts on this?
I thought it was alcohol free, because it said alcohol removed, however, upon investigation is has under .05

Is this okay to drink. I was going to get a bottle tonight....
Old 11-17-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a Gift

It's ok to drink if you are not an alcoholic.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have no interest in na drinks as I always drank to get numb, drunk, so what's the point of drinking something that's an imitation?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Abso-freakin-lutly no for me.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Whyy bother?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've seen the non alcoholic wine. There is no alcohol in it. Zero percent not like the .5% non alcoholic beer. You will never get drunk on non alcoholic beer or wine anyway. If you can stay away from the real stuff then you should have no problem but if it makes you go back to the real stuff then no. It really comes down to alcohol and act of drinking.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When it comes to wine/beer, the legal definition of non-alcoholic is <0.05%. Low, but not zero.

What are people's experiences with drinking something like sparkling apple cider? Can that be too close to the real thing? Only Day 3 for me, but I've been having fruit juice over ice and that has satifisfied my psychological need.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
When it comes to wine/beer, the legal definition of non-alcoholic is <0.05%. Low, but not zero.

What are people's experiences with drinking something like sparkling apple cider? Can that be too close to the real thing? Only Day 3 for me, but I've been having fruit juice over ice and that has satifisfied my psychological need.
They do make Alcohol Free wine, WhoDey. Go to Alcohol Free Wines by Fre Wines | Our Non Alcoholic Wines
Old 11-17-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it is just one step closer to drinking and in reality it is not the taste of wine you are looking for so it is probably going to leave you feeling unsatisfied. I am new to sobriety and I just don't think it is worth the risk.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've tried the vingette grape soda made from chardonnay grapes. One of my issues is that I love stemware. One thing that works for me is having seltzer in a champagne glass. I swear, if I'm out with friends that are drinking that's what I order. At home I have juice in a wine glass.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had no idea such a thing existed! There are occasions when wine goes with a particular dinner dish, but with my recovery I've been substituting water. Of course this just doesn't pair up the same. I'll check this stuff out and see if it does the job. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

An absolutely, unadulterated NEGATIVE!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said in another thread about this, there's a million drinks out there that don't taste, smell or otherwise remind me of my old alcoholic favorites, y'know?

even if there is no alcoholic content, old behaviours can be dangerous too.

D
Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm in the camp of the others.

If you don't want to be a drunk, don't act like a drunk!

For me, this means not going to any bars, drinking alcoholic-like substitutes, doing the same old things with drinking buddies minus the drinking.

In past attempts at sobriety, doing any of those things were just a miserable reminder of what I couldn't do. Not a good way to stay sober, in my opinion. I did them because I wouldn't admit I needed to change my life, not just what I drank. In short, life sucked. I was back to the bottle in weeks.

Since I do AA now I know many who have stayed sober successfully for many years and not one of them buys NA beer at night or shoots pool in a bar.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In previous attempts at sobriety drinking NA beer and wine was an attempt to continue my old behavior, minus alcohol. I feel it is very much like keeping a wallet photo of an ex whom you had a terrible relationship with.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I've had the stuff and frankly, it doesn't taste very good. Neither does NA beer. Personally, I'd rather drink things that taste good.

When I want something special I pick up some Orangina or Limonata.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

The Fre website listed does actually state their alcohol free wines DO contain alcohol.

I just never got the point of it. Why flirt that closely with something that nearly destroyed my life and my spirit. I like to drink other things now, like cream soda.. yum!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Man, you guys are too funny. I'll bet you don't drink Root Beer because it has beer in the title! Seriously though, some people actually like the taste of wine and beer and while the non alcoholic versions may not up to par, it might make certain situations easier for some people. If someone is used to drinking wine all day and wants to quit, maybe having a non alcoholic substitution would allow them to ween off a little easier. Once the alcohol is gone, they can work on breaking the habit of pouring the drink. I know a lot of people here don't accept taking steps as a viable method towards recovery, but there are also quite a few that find a straight drop off the edge a little too much to take and end up falling back in. I guess if you really think you can't have a non alcoholic beer or wine without running out and buying the real thing, then you should avoid it. Personally, I think it would be hilarious to serve it at my next party and see who starts acting drunk
Old 11-18-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

With such a low amount of EtOH its ok. I had some at a wedding this past weekend. Kind of like the cake made with Bailies. I thought it was made with bay leaves. Ha.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bay Leaves!?! Lol, yuck!