Notices

Fre Non Alcoholic Wines....

Old 11-18-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
The Fre website listed does actually state their alcohol free wines DO contain alcohol.

I just never got the point of it. Why flirt that closely with something that nearly destroyed my life and my spirit. I like to drink other things now, like cream soda.. yum!
I agree with you on the cream soda! Great stuff.

But...Fre wine has as much alcohol as s jug of orange juice that has been fermenting in the fridge for a few days.

To me, the problem isn't the alcohol in it...it's that it tastes awful.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by mattparadise View Post
Kind of like the cake made with Bailies. I thought it was made with bay leaves. Ha.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
To me, the problem isn't the alcohol in it...it's that it tastes awful.
To me it's not the taste. It's the behavior that accompanies it.

I, for one, take my lead from those before that have been successful over the long term since doing it my own way has ALWAYS failed in the past.

Another analagy: What good is a stapler without staples when trying to keep papers together? Wouldn't a paper clip work better if you had no staples or would you keep using the stapler thinking it would somehow get the job done?

I my opinion, NA beer and wine has it's rightful place - if you are a drinker and occasionally don't want alcohol in a social setting. I am not a drinker anymore so I don't believe it's right for this booze hound.

Last edited by StPeteGrad; 11-18-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-18-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'd stay away from it...it would probably make me crave real wine and that's not a good thing
Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have not gone near it. However, my thing with wine is taste, never to get drunk. That's what I had vodka for. Wine would give me a head ache after one glass so that's what I always stuck too. For now, since I am a newly sober person, I am staying away. Almost done with Day 7!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 7 stick with it. If you can stay away from all of it wouldnt that be great? If I had the alcohol free I'd be like wow this would be even. Iced if I got a buzz off of it. Lol I'm so predictable I love that buzzed feeling.

Anyway congrats on day 7 stay sober
Old 11-19-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

good job, it could be a big tempatation for you, u never know
Old 11-19-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
The Fre website listed does actually state their alcohol free wines DO contain alcohol.

I just never got the point of it. Why flirt that closely with something that nearly destroyed my life and my spirit. I like to drink other things now, like cream soda.. yum!
Yea it says that on the FAQ page but on the bottle it says 0% VOL. But your not going to get drunk on the stuff. The only thing it will do is that it could remind you of wanting to drink wine with alcohol in it.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Isn't non alcoholic wine just grape juice?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

To me it would be like snorting powdered caffine pills instead of meth or coke, if Im gonna drink its going to be the real thing, but I dont drink or do drugs anymore, period.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I agree with alcoholsux. I drank red wine with steak and spaghetti and beer with burgers and pizza, and brut champaigne (or drier) ocasionally - for the taste. I would also slug down a nice ice cold bitter beer after busting my butt on a hot day. Drinking was Jack Daniels, Makers Mark, good single malt scotch, Boodles British gin (especially Saphire) and I really did like the taste. Gettng drunk was cheap vodka or shots of tequila. Unfortunately I couldn't differentiate taste from drinking from getting drunk. So the end game was essentially the same.

I often wish I could experience (stop with) the taste. Once I met someone who held that wine was a condiment like ketchup or mustard or tobasco, to enhance taste and enjoyment but not something to be consumed. I agree - if only I wasn't an alcoholic. Sometimes (often) I miss the taste, though I've learned substitutes. I totally agree with other posters, taste is the issue - I'd rather drink seltzer, Vernors, fruit juice, etc. rather than NA beer that sucks.

The only way I might use NA wine (unless one exists that really tastes like a real burgandy or chianti) is in my spaghetti sauce and beef stew. I really miss the flavor and cooking wine just doesn't make it. I might give it a try as a replacement for cooking wine if I can find a NA robust red that captures the taste.

As an aside, I was always under the assumption that the alcohol cooked off when you cooked with wine. Wow, was I surprised to find that for the most part 75% or more doesn't boil off. Only when you simmer for 4-6+ hours uncovered do you get any significant reduction in alcohol content. Even then it only goes down to about 10%. I certainly don't need any temptation - don't want the slightest effect, even if sublimnal. Starting at 0.5% would be safe to cook with for me but it would have to be seriously comparable in final taste. Otherwise, I've been adapting to balsamic vinigar successfully and I'll continue with that.

I've found that after a short time my palate adapts. After drinking skim milk, flavored seltzer water, zero cal drink mixes, etc. for not too long a time I can't abide whole milk, regular soda, sugary drinks, respectively. So the adaptation to balsamic is not too difficult though I'd love to find a real red wine substitute for my recipies.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
LOL
Old 11-19-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Mixed posts here lol. Well I don't believe in drinking NA Beverages. I don't see the point of it, to play it in your head that it's okay to drink because it doesn't have alcohol in it I think doesn't make it okay in my mind. Even though it does have .5 percent alcohol means its not really non alcoholic. sure you'd have to drink 24 of them to even feel the smallest buzz but by that time you would be doing more peeing then ever lol.

I don't judge on peoples opinions however. My sponsor in AA has been sober for 8 years now and sometimes he'll have one of those non alcoholic beers. Not often and he did say once "you know you could have one if you wanted to Chris" I disagreed and reminded him how early in recovery I was to even consider that option and still. Even if Im sobered for a long time I don't think I'd have the heart to do it, I believe it'll only bring my craving back. But you do whatever you like it's your choice in the end, just remember the consquences of your actions if you do drink them you might risk wanting to turn to noraml drinks. my opinion lol
Old 11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Have a buddy sober over 20 years who drinks NA beers. Recently in my sobriety I have had some and it's helped to ween myself. I have like many have mentioned been drinking a lot of sparkling water.
Been an interesting journey so far. Everyday has been a challenge.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I used to get an NA beer when out to dinner... much less often now... they cost as much as a regular beer and no free refills.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Tastes crappy so don't bother. There's this stuff called 12 at my grocery, it's awesome...they market it as an alternative to wine and I have to say I love having it for special occasions like thanksgiving...but it's nothing like wine...it's just an herbal drink.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
I drink a lot of ice cold NA Vodka (aka water). LOL
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You could just buy some grape juice, it's still good for you and no alcohol. I have bought non alcohol beer an accident and then wondered why I wasn't getting a buzz??? Then I looked at the label and I was like $hi*! Seriously though, if there isn't any alcohol in it, what's the friggin point?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I believe that nonalcoholic wine or beer is dangerous for the recovering alcoholic for the following reason: Prolonged periods of drinking condition the body and the brain to associate the taste of the beer or wine with the "buzz" which, at least in the earlier stages of alcoholism (before tolerance builds up), is derived from these beverages. Thus the taste tends to send a message that alcohol is on its way. Even though an alcoholic has stopped drinking alcohol, the association is still there. When there is no resulting "buzz" then the subconscious or semi conscious expectations of the brain and body are frustrated and this may increase the likelihood of a message suggesting something like, "Well, maybe one little glass of the real stuff wouldn't do any harm", or something equivalent to that. In other words, it's very dangerous, particularly in the early recovery stages, to play games with what amounts to an enraged monster, the so called "lizard" brain, deprived of its customary alcohol. Teasing it with "nonalcoholic" beer or wine is just asking for it and there is a high risk of being blindsided into a relapse.

W.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I would stick behind your thought process on your username. We are all here for the same reason and yes, what works for one may not work for another BUT...I don't play with fire. I have learned my lesson one too many times and I know the consequences involved in lighting the match.