Notices

struggling

Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling

Found out yesterday I have to get surgery. I'm almost at 3 weeks sober & haven't had the overwhelming urge to drink until now. My head feels tight, my throat screaming for wine. I won cave but this is awful & hope I feel better getting this off my chest by posting. I have so many things happening I feel like saying f it. Maybe some people like me just get dealt adversity upon adversity
Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I know that sometimes it feels like the shyte comes down so hard you feel like you should wear a hat. But, honestly, that is just life. Shyte happens and we have to deal with it. I have found it much easier dealing with it sober than drunk. Drinking doesn't change the situation and usually just makes things worse.

Hang in there and don't drink, no matter what!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Best wishes on your surgery, yet another challenge to conquer.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I know drinking won't help anything. It will on make the anxiety worse and I'm sure mess up my body which needs all the care it can get right now. I have many reasons not to drink. Getting hammered would be easy. Dealing with reality is the challenge and I'm committed
Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of things happened to me in my first few weeks and months - it always seemed to be when I stopped drinking...

I realise now, after being sober a while, that these things tend to happen anyway whether I'm drinking or not...

and drinking never made them better...at best, it just helped me deny my reality for a couple of hours...then the world came back into focus and I had the guilt shame and illness to deal with as well.

Surgery can be scary quitforme, but I think the fear of it is actually worse than the surgery for me.

I'm sure you'll be ok - and you have lots of people here wishing you well too

D
Old 11-16-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sorry to hear about the surgery, but so glad you came here and talked about it. I had some issues right after getting sober, too, and it was tempting to want to escape. But I kept thinking about how it would feel trying to deal with it all when I was hungover, anxious and depressed from the alcohol.

You're so right about needing to take care of yourself. Pamper yourself. Trust that everything's going to go well and think about how great you're going to feel when it's over and you got through this sober!

We all need pep talks from time to time..... thanks for your psot!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Quitforme,

I hope the surgery goes well. As others have said it doesn't make things easier by drinking .
You know that, just want to say, all the best and hang in there, this to shall pass
CaiHong
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there my friend - you WILL get through this...and you will be sober!!!

Good for you in coming on to SR and posting how you feel - you will be so proud of yourself for coping with this without alcohol.

Big Huge Hug
Old 11-16-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HOpe the surgery goes well and really hope you don't drink. And I totally understand the temptation. But at least you won't have to think about where you're going to get your next drink while you're recovering from surgery, who's going to buy your booze.

Focus on you. Hugs
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a happy and sober life.