Notices

Dui felonies cant get a job

Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dui felonies cant get a job

In 2009 I had a blackout and rear ended a vehicle that was stopped then they pushed to the car in front of them. I came out of it with the airbag in my face. I could not see, it was dark, I was confused and left the scene walking a block away to a local convenient store.. Then I heard all the sirens, I was scared confused.. I called my BF. He came and walked down to the crash site. Told the police where I was and what I was wearing.

They picked me up and arrested me. I was finally charged with two felony counts.. One a DUI with injury, people I hit had back and whiplash injury, the front car had hair fractured ribs. My car and the one I hit were totaled.. I was also charged felony for leaving the scene of an accident. I had a really bad public defender. I got 6 months county, but was able to do a work furlough program instead.

The judge ordered restitution in the sum of 17,000.00 to victims. What I found out a bit later is that my insurance company wanted to pay both victims off at 15,000 cash each but could not get the parties to agree. It took over a year to work it out.. They got paid and withdrew the claim with the court.. Now I cant find work.. I have been rejected by more than one decent paying job based on a background check. Meanwhile I'm being grilled for the remaining balance of 4,500.00 for fines and fees. I'm close to being homeless. I know I messed up. But how is cooking in a restaurant have anything to do with a DUI three years ago.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a shame really. I was once declined a job for a public intox ticket. I just kept looking and looking. I finally found someone who was willing to overlook anything so long as I walked the straight and narrow while I was employed there.

Since then I have had the charge removed from my record.

Best of luck to you, I know a felony DUI is more severe, but there is definitely someone out there who will hire you.

I've seen plenty of people working who had much worse on their records.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It sucks, but yeah, you have to just keep looking. Adding to the already suckiness is the fact that it's a buyer's market, meaning there are more people looking for work than there are jobs. Employers can afford to be really picky. I hope you are able to find something soon. Hang in there.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you in the white collar field? I work in finance and I know people with felonies who are able to get jobs. I think the key is to network. Talk to everyone you know who could help you out or pass on your resume to someone who CAN help you out.

A friend with a felony (charged in college, drinking related) got a job as an auditor just by calling up a few companies and asking if he could come in and shadow another auditor for 1-2 hours. They were impressed with his initiative to learn and get a foot in the door.