Notices

Told some of my friends....

Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Told some of my friends....

So I posted yesterday about how I was a little nervous to explain to my friends that I was not drinking. But I got some great advice from some of yall and decided to take the "Im taking it easy for a while" route. Yesterday was ladies night and we went walking and while we were working out one of my friends actually brought up how she wants to stop drinking for a while and get healthier. It was the perfect opportunity for me to announce that I too was taking a break from drinking for a while. To my surprise and delight a few of my other friends said that they wanted to do the same thing and we started making a pact to stay booze free for a while. How long my friends can stay sober is unknown and really insnt my concern, but it is nice to know that I am not being judged for my decision and that I actually have supporters and people who want to do the same thing. Hopefully it will make this process easier.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are a lot of programs that encourage you to dump all of your "drinking friends", AA in particular. I think it's important to make the distinction, because simply severing contact to all your friends isn't exactly healthy either.

The two primary criteria I use are: 'How many hours do you spend sober with this fiend vs how many do you spend drinking?' And of course, 'would they understand if I decided not to drink with them?'

Sounds like you got a good group of friends there, best of luck to you.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am new to sobriety and have only told my husband and parents at this point. It must feel good to have had such a supportive reaction from your friends. Congrats on taking another step towards recovery.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's excellent! Not only have you covered yourself, you also scored some support. Perfect! ... AND you've set yourself up for "enjoying the benefits of sobriety and have decided to remain a tea totaller for now" response (assuming you will make that decision), if any of your buddies decide it's time to partake in a few drinks at some point.

Nice job - And congrats!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seared View Post
There are a lot of programs that encourage you to dump all of your "drinking friends", AA in particular. I think it's important to make the distinction, because simply severing contact to all your friends isn't exactly healthy either.

The two primary criteria I use are: 'How many hours do you spend sober with this fiend vs how many do you spend drinking?' And of course, 'would they understand if I decided not to drink with them?'

Sounds like you got a good group of friends there, best of luck to you.
Thanks Seared! Fortunately my friends and I do partake in other activities that dont involve drinking, however, when we do drink we all take it to the extreme. It really did feel good knowing that I wasnt going to be judged or looked down upon either. I mean at 27 years old I would hope my friendships didnt revolve around drinking and partying like when we were younger but I guess you dont really know until you start trying new things and seeing who is still there.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have some support Sara - the only trouble I had with the 'I'm taking things easy for a while' line is that my buddies kept asking me when the 'while' would be up....

There are a lot of programs that encourage you to dump all of your "drinking friends", AA in particular.
This is a bit of a misleading simplification, I think.

I did dump a lot of my friends - the drinking buddies with whom the only thing I had in common was drinking.

It was necessary for me, and healthy - and I made lots of new friends and reconnected with a lot of old ones too.

I think it's a good idea to look at your life and examine those parts that are not perhaps conducive to sobriety.

In my experience, a non drinker can't really live a drinkers life and expect to say sober. I tried.

Most of us find we do need to change things (and I'm not in AA, btw)

D