Notices

Is it still a loss not to have the euphoric high

Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it still a loss not to have the euphoric high

Does anyone still miss those brief moments of euphoria from drinking? Anyone found a substitute?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No. Because those brief moments were overshadowed by the long-lasting bad feelings of sickness and despair....
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you mean a "buzz", then no, I don't miss it. I don't want it. I have found so much more non-buzz joy in other things since being sober... A real sleep, being clear-headed and on the ball, caring in general, feeling confident in myself and my actions, looking better, and generally finding joy in things I would have otherwise ignored because I'd be busy drinking or being hung-over. Those things aren't a mind-altering high, but they're a different type of high ... I don't ever want to be "buzzed" again.

That said - and maybe this makes me a hypocrite on some level - I have tried to remember what it feels like. Physical sensations are difficult to remember ... and I don't really remember ... but I do find myself thinking about it sometimes. But I still don't miss it.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Honestly.....yes. For a brief moment that feeling comes over me but thats when I need to use my tools that i learned from AA. Whats going on at that moment, am I aggrivated, am I hungry or bored. I also think beyond the drink. Is it worth it? I never felt satisfied while drinking. Had a nagging feeling of wanting more constantly and after years of the same behavior I finally realized Ill never be satisfied while drinking. For me that nagging voice of more more more is the worst! so once ive thought all this thru, its not as appealing to me. We are alcoholics the thought of a drink comes up from time to time its what we do with those thoughts!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I know what you mean. I used to always seek that feeling I got in the first 20 minutes of drinking, when all was right in the world, when I was at peace...but I always overshot that point and got sick and sad.

Some things that work for me now (might sound cliche but it really works) are working out and meditation. I get almost the same kind of euphoric, expansive positivity that absolutely radiates from the center of me....much like alcoholic euphoria, but this feeling does not turn to despair. Because I am earning these endorphins through natural means and hard work

Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I've replaced it with the euphoric feeling of not being dead... that one lasts much longer!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by effortjoy View Post
Does anyone still miss those brief moments of euphoria from drinking? Anyone found a substitute?
Yes. I miss the first few minutes of that warmness. Then I pull myself together and remember the hell that followed. The only physical substitute I know that compares to it is the adrenaline rush you get from exercising. Otherwise, the substitute for me is the feeling of peace with myself knowing that I no longer have to put myself or people that love me through the horrible drama alcohol brings. It's just not worth it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am only on day 26 of sobriety. But, romanticizing drinking is NOT an option for me at this point. I do not allow my brain to go there because it is dangerous for me. As stated in earlier posts, there are other ways to achieve a much more balanced high. Exercise, good music, helping others, massage and the feeling of pride in oneself.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

No. I've replaced it with happiness.

Amazing feeling!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I kind of lost that towards the end, though I did everything I could to try and recapture the early euphoric feeling I obtained in my initial stages of dependency. But in sobriety I've tried to stop thinking of things so much in those terms, the mentality of seeking after the next 'high', the instant gratification. As everyone says, the 'euphoria' from substance abuse is ultimately temporary, illusory, and there's the mess to face afterwards, so you get into the pattern of having to feed it more.

Some people get into spirituality to help replace that feeling, I know that not all are believers but I think that I drank partly to fill a spiritual/emotional void.

Physical exercise can also help you produce more endorphins... some people actually get hooked on exercise after rehabbing, moderate exercise is okay, but you have to be careful you don't substitute one addiction for another. Even things that are normally healthy can be damaging to be taken to the extreme. But you see many people go that way, because they are still in the euphoria, quick fix seeking mode, and haven't matured in recovery past that phase.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I agree with michelle01, I lost that euphoria near the end and I was just chasing the memory of what used to be enjoyable. I don't miss it one bit.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

little things, beautiful sunsets, a 2 year old giggling with me, feeling my muscles burn in the gym, relaxing in the hot tub, music, candles emmitting comforting scents, riding my bicycle, the list goes on. The "artificial high" is just that. The devil made it that way. Then he CLOBBERS you with addiction and mayhem, choking out your natural seratonin in your brain. Sobriety brings back joy, you just have to look for it, feel it, embrace it.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In some circles they call that euphoria "Chasing the Dragon". I also had the same dilemma, and recognized that those artificial highs were not sustainable, as they also came with crushing lows.

Early on, missing the euphoria, it came to mind that one of the few things I could do better sober, that also had a real euphoria for me was improvisational jazz/blues guitar. I began studying music; intervals, scales, modes, voicings, etc. Chasing a new dragon that was enriching spiritually. The 'high' I get is not the artificial drug or booze induced variety, and I just had to get accustomed to, or allowed my brain to heal enough so that that elevation of mood was more than enough on its own.

Music is an ideally difficult, frustrating and rewarding pursuit for this recovering alcoholic. It's up to each of us to discover things we can be passionate about that elevates us spiritually and mentally. It's a crucial part of how we lift the obsession, and a worthwhile search.

Best wishes on your journey!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Ok, I'm not perfect (despite the popular misconceptions... ) But I will miss absinthe. Mostly for the ritual. Of course, that was a hobby at the start of my slow descent into intoxication land many moons ago. It wasn't really about any type of euphoria though, just a romanticized vision of a bygone era me thinks. Oh well, still have my absinthe spoons, I can pour a mix of Mountain Dew and milk through them when I really get the urge next time (which won't happen because I'm so damn perfect!!!)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

At the end there was essentially no buzz/euphoria - just the obsession/compulsion to drink. In any event the buzz from alcohol was orders of magnitude less than what I got from acid. If I had easy access to clean acid I'd find it phenominally easy to never even consider drinking again. I drink/drank because my DOC was no longer an option and alcohol was/is legal and (much too easily) available.

That said, I've found things that can bring me extremely near, if not to, the place that I got with acid. Somewhat less intensity but far easier to control with the same Zen centering. When I snorkel or dive I am "in tune". I am totaly there for each instant, nowhere else, experiencing everything, in the zone, no past, no future, only now, and in awe. I used to get there turning wood - total concentration, totally in the now. Slowly booze took that away from me - I intend to get it back.

There are other things, for example, playing soccer (had to stop - at 65 I get injured too much against people who are 10 years or more younger - 4 surgeries), and anything else that commands complete attention and concentration. I can get lost cutting, slicing, and all the prep work and then the cooking to create a truely fine meal. I can get lost in a really well written book.

That's the only thing alcohol did for me. Let me get lost. Except it was a false lost, get away from myself, shut down my thinking. Once it was done with me I floundered. All I could do was crash. The things that I now can use to lose myself are productive and reach beyond the time I zone out (or is it zone in?).
Old 11-16-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe it's not euphoria at all

Thank you so much for all of your replies. They were really helpful. And now that I am thinking more about it, the euphoria of drinking is really just a muting of the pain; the pain of feeling like I don't belong ever anywhere, the pain of never reaching my potential, and the constant, aching pain of dealing with life's on it's own terms. I maybe miss the mute button, the one that turns down the volume on the harsh noise of self hatred. I know so many other things in life bring pleasure but nothing is a mute button. An instant removal from pain for just a little while; the problem is that the price is too high so I keep coming up with excuses not to drink. I have this meeting, that function, this class... But what happens when the excuses run out?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I try to replace that with spiritual growth. Early on i did miss the highs and lows, I then "dared to be dull" now I don't miss the highs, the highs I get now are awesome.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, I miss it. (And I miss the high of coke/ alcohol and coke combined even more so).

However, sometimes I feel a natural euphoric "high" of feeling a lot of joy and hopefulness. That is a feeling I haven't felt in a long time, and I prefer it to the substance-induced high I was really used to feeling.

I also have noticed that when I'm relaxed and happy, a giddy, goofy, light-hearded child-like side of myself comes out that hasn't been there naturally in a really long time. Almost like I'm reverting back into the good part of the childhood me, or the me before/when I first started drinking. It is a great feeling. I try to stay focused on these natural highs (plus, for me, the endorphin rush of a good workout/run) and realize they are worth much more than the "cheap" and temproary high of drinkig or doing drugs, which only end up destroying my emotions and psyche.

(I also like the feelings of peace and contentedness, which I am not used to at all!)

Good luck to you.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by effortjoy View Post
Thank you so much for all of your replies. They were really helpful. And now that I am thinking more about it, the euphoria of drinking is really just a muting of the pain; the pain of feeling like I don't belong ever anywhere, the pain of never reaching my potential, and the constant, aching pain of dealing with life's on it's own terms. I maybe miss the mute button, the one that turns down the volume on the harsh noise of self hatred. I know so many other things in life bring pleasure but nothing is a mute button. An instant removal from pain for just a little while; the problem is that the price is too high so I keep coming up with excuses not to drink. I have this meeting, that function, this class... But what happens when the excuses run out?
Oh effortjoy. I do so miss that mute button. You truly summed it all up. I am the Queen of the mute button. But the longer I am sober, the more I learn to deal with life and all its harsh noises and I am doing a pretty decent job of it. It takes a bit of time and hard work but its worth it. And for the record, the self hatred goes away too.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back effortjoy

No I really don't miss the euphoria the oblivion, the checking out or the mute button.

It's been nearly five years now and I've lived my life sober, good and bad, I've survived the experience - even grown from it - and I've found true happiness and joy in my life and in who I am.

I think the difference between that joy and the oblivion I used to crave is like comparing a silent movie to the latest 3d Imax experience.

I realise I may sound like one of those old timer types here, but I really do feel this way.

With oblivion I was always chasing my tail - I'd always come back to earth, my problems were still there and I needed to get wasted again.

Now, that joy is always with me.

It's not impossible to get either - for anyone - it just takes a lot of effort and commitment.

Not drinking was a part of the process not the whole thing - I had to work on myself too - face my fears, deal with those issues I used to drink over.

I had to find happiness in my life, and feel comfortable and at peace in who I am.

I really hope you can find that too effortjoy

D