Notices

Trying to stay positive

Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to stay positive

But I'm just kind of freaking out - have the 4 kids to myself tonight as my significant other went back to her hometown to wait for her father to pass away. I'm so sad about that and everything. Trying to get the kids fed and homework done and now I'm just sitting here crying. I want a drink so badly - (no worries took my pill today so I can't drink until Wednesday evening at the soonest) I'm just sad and want a break right now. I know this will pass in 30 minutes or so - just overwhelmed right now...
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good luck, hang on. If I may zero in on one huge motivator to NOT take that drink? "4 kids". Nuff said.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

Tigger, I don't know what to say other than I am so sorry that you're feeling this way right now. You're right, it will pass, it's just that life is so hard sometimes. Sending you warm wishes and thinking of you, Meg.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Chin up mate! You did good taking your pill. You know the score from what you say. It will pass and you will be ok. Sending you all the positive vibes I can muster!

Stu.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well My father-in-law passed away before my partner could get there to say good-bye. Just so sad. I think the overwhelming feeling I was having was me trying not to cry - I can't tell you the last time I truly cried.

So now I'm here in the office crying and the kids are watching a show and in some weird way I feel better.

I have to go in and tell the kids - they'll be okay - didn't know him well - they'll be more concerned that their parents are sad. We'll be okay.

Please keep my other half in your prayers. Her and the rest of her family as the mourn their loss. It was a very long day for her - that 9 hour car drive was 1 hour too long. She's a good person - tries to do what's right... and he was a man that worked to just about his last day to support his family... anyway now I'm rambling

Thanks for the support.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Hang in there, sorry for your loss...
Old 11-14-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
lor

really sorry tigger!!!! thats a sad day for ur family. hang in there
Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Prayers & condolences sent.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Tigger. Prayers to you and all the family.

Dealing with sadness can be really sad to start with, especially if you've drunk away sadness for years....but I think we forget sometimes sadness is a natural normal response.

Lean on your friends in real life and here

D
Old 11-14-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awww Tigger, much love to you and yours
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm so glad you're hanging in there, Tigger...... I don't think it's unusual at all for emotions to hit us hard at first, especially something like this. Any kind of feeling made me want to drink at first, but it really does get better.

Sometimes just a good night's sleep can help. Focus on the positives of sobriety and how good it will feel getting through this and being there for your wife and kids. Sending prayers for your wife's family.....
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tigger41 View Post
But I'm just kind of freaking out - have the 4 kids to myself tonight as my significant other went back to her hometown to wait for her father to pass away. I'm so sad about that and everything. Trying to get the kids fed and homework done and now I'm just sitting here crying. I want a drink so badly - (no worries took my pill today so I can't drink until Wednesday evening at the soonest) I'm just sad and want a break right now. I know this will pass in 30 minutes or so - just overwhelmed right now...
4 kids, that's a lot of responsibility. Depending on their age, you may not have a lot of control over them. They are hyperactive playful puppies, which is a lot of work for the overworked parent dogs.

But now that the moment is passed, yesterday is gone, i'm curious, does the same feeling at the same intensity that you had, still remain today?
One of the things alcohol brings is the illusion of control over situations.

Learning how to not react to the temptation, learning not to bite the fishhook of a drink, because reacting will keep us trapped, and snag us.
We can learn to get the feeling of happiness from yesterday's accomplishment of not giving in to temptation, and knowing we are breaking out of our negative cycles.

So feel good today! You got through yesterday, and that was not easy.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

does the same feeling at the same intensity that you had, still remain today?
Wow - No - not at all. Feel a bit embarrassed I wrote it - at that moment my head felt bad - like it needed something - my chest was tight and I was just overwhelmed. Actually thought of taking a drink on Antabuse (that would have been lovey). So I feel nothing today like I did at that moment last night - lesson for the future huh?

By 9:00pm me and the older kids (age 10 - twins) were watching Harry Potter and all was good - the two younger ones are 6 and 4. They keep me busy but they are good kids and it's really not that bad. Weird how I felt that way though.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

Glad you're feeling a bit better today Tigger. You're doing so well
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awwhh how difficult is this! ((HUGS)) I wish you and your family all the best and hope that you all get through this as a big support to one another. So hard to lose someone so special.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad today is better Tigger

D
Old 11-15-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am glad you are doing better today Tigger!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I lost my dad 7 weeks ago yesterday and I know how you feel. About an hour ago I almost drank, had bought the drink in and all , im sooooo happy I posted here first how I felt cos all the drink is down the sink and I can look foreword to double digits tomorrow.....day 10! But my God, its SCARY how all your good intentions can be gone in a blip in a rosy tinted romantic illusion.
Were going to get through this Tigger, with the help of our new friends in sr!