Notices

Day 1

Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I read Whodey's note today and decided to join.

For me it is day 1.

Before I begin, I want to say thankyou to everyone who has posted here. Many of you are suffering and have suffered a great deal. Your postings are motivating me to get this thing under control.

Simply, I do not know how drinking managed to get a hold on me. For years I only drank on weekends and not to excess.

The past 2 years it moved to Thursdays then Wednesday; now pretty much everyday. I wake up in the morning with enormous guilt and tell my wife 'I won't drink for another week'. This last 2 days.

I don't know what this means long term. Don't care at this point. I just simply want to go 30 days without any alcohol. I have not done that since I was in my teens, 20 years ago.

Many people have related similar stories, I am particularly motivated by those who have stopped drinking and tell of how much better their life is after stopping. I hope to be able to say the same thing.

Right now, I want to get through the rest of the day.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will be able to say that your life is better without alcohol, but keep in mind that stopping drinking is only the beginning. There is lots of support here and lots of information too!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, soberjim!

Glad you joined us and good job deciding you need to take care of yourself. I am only on day two (again), but I had eight months in 2010 and life was so much better. I want to get back to that point and I really hope we both can achieve our goals. Hope you'll make it to 30 days (&beyond) and make good progress! For now, I'd say it's best taking it day by day as you already said.

Keep us in the loop on how you are doing, will you?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

One hour at a time! You can do it! You aren't alone
Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good choice, Jim. Don't worry about how many days... just do today. Come back tomorrow and tell us how that went.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good decision - come here for support when needed. Posting keeps me sane.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
I read Whodey's note today and decided to join.

For me it is day 1.

Before I begin, I want to say thankyou to everyone who has posted here. Many of you are suffering and have suffered a great deal. Your postings are motivating me to get this thing under control.

Simply, I do not know how drinking managed to get a hold on me. For years I only drank on weekends and not to excess.

The past 2 years it moved to Thursdays then Wednesday; now pretty much everyday. I wake up in the morning with enormous guilt and tell my wife 'I won't drink for another week'. This last 2 days.

I don't know what this means long term. Don't care at this point. I just simply want to go 30 days without any alcohol. I have not done that since I was in my teens, 20 years ago.

Many people have related similar stories, I am particularly motivated by those who have stopped drinking and tell of how much better their life is after stopping. I hope to be able to say the same thing.

Right now, I want to get through the rest of the day.
Hey SoberJim , day 2 here for me . I am glad that you have decided to lead a sober life , Personally I am just going to work the steps to the best of my ability , come to SR daily , and try to cut down on the stress areas in my life because stress is my number 1 trigger for relapse , Good luck friend .
Old 11-15-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
I don't know what this means long term. Don't care at this point. I just simply want to go 30 days without any alcohol.
Soberjim ... I find it humbling that my thread helped you take this step. I feel so lost right now, I find it incredible that I could help anyone.

Our stories sound similar. I like your attitude of not worrying about what this means long term and just focusing on today. I'm going to strive to do the same ... so thank you for the positive example.

Day 1, huh? Never thought I'd be saying that.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR soberjim

D
Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi SoberJim- I am on Day One too. Been trying to quit for 6 years. I need to get past 15 days -!thats the longest I have ever gone, but for now it's one day and sometimes one hour at a time. Good Luck.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

soberjim - it's great to have you join the family. WhoDey and Marine28 too! This is an amazing place that helped me get sober after a lifetime of drinking.

It's wonderful you're refusing to allow alcohol to ruin your life the way many of us did. I never saw what it was doing to me until I was almost destroyed. I kept insisting I could control the amounts I drank. That insanity led to 24/7 drinking and a life in turmoil. This doesn't have to happen to you - you can turn it all around and have a beautiful life. Be proud of your decision.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm also on day 1 (again). I think the worst part is the shaking, trembling, anxiety, nausea, and inevitably....it will be hell tonight when I try to go to sleep. I need to stop doing this to myself and I hope it's for real this time. Good luck to you.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know. It's amazing how we put ourselves through this hell over & over.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back mwstylee

D
Old 11-15-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hevyn - I couldn't agree more. How many time have I said to
myself "why do you keep doing this to yourself - you feel like crap in the morning but you keep doing it anyway."
Old 11-15-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I got sober almost two years ago and the only thing I regret is that I didn't do it sooner. YOu've done the right thing to join our family. We support each other on our journeys.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Life is better without alcohol abuse, but it's not going to change overnite. Your progression into a daily drinker took awhile, it's going to take awhile to recover. But don't get that far ahead, just take it one day at a time. The "one day at a time" thing may sound like a trite slogan, but when you truly start living your life that way, life's better.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support.
I plan on making it to 30 days!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to Day 2, Jim!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you will find lots of support here. Keep reading and posting- You are NOT alone.