Notices

Down In The Dumps And Wanting To Quit

Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fdm

Down In The Dumps And Wanting To Quit

I came into work yesterday to find out that my former Captain had passed away suddenly at home yesterday. I had no idea.

I worked with him almost 10 years, until the day he retired. He was one of the first people to visit my son, now 13, when he was born. He gave him a $50 savings bond, and we named him Jack, which was his middle name.

He and I worked terrible accidents and fires over the years. I "grew up" in the Fire Dept. working with him. I worked with in my 20's and into my 30's. Both of my kids were born during my time working with him.

Working with him was the happiest times in my career at the FD. He has been retired since 2004, and the day he retired, we hugged and cried in the station kitchen.

He was like a father to me, in a sense. I cared more for him than my own father.

I held up at work all day, though. I just have too many people depending on me to be sad at work. I swallowed tears a lot today.

I remembered the fun times we had. The Fire Dept. fraternity is like nothing else. In the years I worked with him, he was my boss, my comrade in dangerous situations, and my mentor. He was partly responsible for my current job position. I threw a promotion test years ago to stay with him.

When he retired, it left a void in my life. It was the right thing to get off the truck when this job opened up, even though it's 10 times the stress, and I work alone most of the time.

My Captain was a rough and tumble guy who lived hard and worked hard. He died too young.

I learned today that his widow wants the full Fire Dept honor funeral with the bagpipes, honor guard, and the final ride on the back of the last Fire Engine that he helped to design.

After all this, and telling myself it is time to stop, I popped tops last night, too many in fact.

I'm disappointed in myself.

The next few days are going to be tough. The funeral is Thursday at 3.

Funny thing is, he always joked about having to rent pallbearers.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, there will always be a reason to drink, so the best thing we can do is try to figure out ways to cope with sadness, that don't involve alcohol.

I'm sure that your friend would want you to be sober.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im so sorry Fdm, he sounds like a great man , you were lucky to have him in your life. Take care of yourself and I will light a candle for you and him and be thinking of you on thursday xx
Old 11-15-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss
Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fdm

Day 2 for me.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss too fdm....
congratulations on your decision and day 2

D
Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi fdm: Your at the crucial point. Get to a meeting daily. Hopefully an AA Big Book Meeting or a 12 Step Book meeting. Life gets easier with each day. Ron
Old 11-16-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR ronallyn

D
Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss FDM. I think it was wonderful that you two met eachother and shared great times. Hang in there...
Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR... I will say a prayer for you and his friends and family. Believe me when I say this is the right place to help you get and stay sober. Welcome to the family... I am sorry for your loss.