Notices

Yeah so Day 2 SUCKED

Old 11-13-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yeah so Day 2 SUCKED

So, normally on a Sunday I count down till noon, that's when the liquor store opens. And today I tried to distract myself. I was in the kitchen baking and all of a sudden I had this feeling, like my body was missing something, and I started to panic. When i looked at the clock, I saw it was a litlte past noon.....i knew what i was missing. my Vodka. rest of the day went slow, and now, i am feeling anxious and irratble. headache, sinus pressure and all that doesnt help. But, No drink for me. Here's to that!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...than never

getting over those bodily rhythyms can be hard. For the longest time, everyday at sunset I would want to drink. For me (but definitely not for everybody) having NA beer around at that time was helpful. Somewhere along the line I lost the craving and now sunset comes and goes without me thinking about drinking.

Congratulations on day 2!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i know what your going through, today is my day 2 also
Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It does SUCK in the beginning. It took us so long to get here and your body is used to certain things. I swore my head would get tight and hurt between 4-5 every night (my drinking time) even asked on this site if your body can tell time like that.. ha guess it can.

It will get better. Keep doing things that distract and only give yourself so much time during the day (1 give myself 60 minutes) to think about drinking and how much I would like a drink.

Hang in there, you uys are both doing great
Old 11-13-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Getting fresh air does help, going for a walk has been extremely helpful in my early recovery. You were baking at the time so you had to fight through the cravings, maybe plan a walk around that time of day or do something you enjoy once winter hits. One other thing that has helped me tremendously is drinking water! When I was in the very beginning of recovery, I was drinking about 4-5 quarts of water a day, It was a little excessive but it did help me. Now I'm drinking about 1-2 quarts of water a day and I couldn't be happier with my progress. I rarely ever have thoughts of drinking but when I do even have the slightest "pang" I just drink water and it goes away (or laugh to myself at how pitiful the AV is sounding).
Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all. It's 10:11 and I know this day is almost done which is another day down. I'm so proud of my two days so far!!!! It's funny the mention of drinking lots of water!! That's what I've done so far. Every time I had an urge, I went and drank water. I know this sounds silly but I also feel like I'm cleansing all the bad **** (excuse my language) out of me! I seriously couldnt be doing this without this site though!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better - good for you AS!

D
Old 11-13-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You ARE cleansing, that's exactly what you're doing. The longer you go without alcohol the healthier and healthier you'll feel. Just stick with it. You can do it! It's worth it.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I was early on in my soberdom, I found it best to try to replace that urge with something tangible. I recommend something that you will still like after a while, when you have only the occasional urge. For example, I would always keep candy in my pockets. Mainly, chewy sprees. I realize now that I was compensating for the huge drop in sugar without booze, but whenever I felt the urge, I would pop one in my mouth, or two! Sometimes, as a little added "courage" on outings I would throw in a handful of m & m's into the jeans pocket. Somehow, if I knew I had it there, I would fine. Weird! Im just saying, try to find a soothing replacement. Some say walks, baths, etc, but a little portable juice or candy or gum or whatever might help with that occasional trigger.

I think I liked candy because it was a little "naughty" like fattening, or sugary, but then id eat one and think, "hey! that wanted to be a shot! But it wasnt! IN YOUR FACE, BRAIN!"
Old 11-14-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinyrev View Post
When I was early on in my soberdom, I found it best to try to replace that urge with something tangible. I recommend something that you will still like after a while, when you have only the occasional urge.

I think I liked candy because it was a little "naughty" like fattening, or sugary, but then id eat one and think, "hey! that wanted to be a shot! But it wasnt! IN YOUR FACE, BRAIN!"
That's an excellent idea. I really like that. Instead of fighting the urge by abstaining from everything, give in to the urge with something different. Then the battle won't feel as instense.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just drink water and more water, knowing it is flushing toxins.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol is not your friend.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

keep in tpuch i post here everyday so we can do this