Notices

Hopeful

Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Overthis, you have to do the hard part, but I think the reasons you think are the hard part are not. You will discover all the people who don't drink and the number of them will surprise you. You never notice them as a drinker because well you are all about you and drunk when you are drunk right?

Once you stop you will realize that the people who left parties early that you thought were party poopers, were leaving not just when the party was starting to get going, but were leaving when people started getting stupid. Now you might think they were judgmental but most times they have just been around enough boring drunks to prefer to go elsewhere or home for some real fun.

My wife is a normal drinker and drinks at home in the evenings, and smokes outside or under the vent hood that really vents outside, and I have no issues with it. At family gatherings I never really noticed that only one beer each were consumed by anybody else while I drank 12 or so in a full day.

Are you worried about what people think again?

I promise you that if you think that everybody is paying that much attention to you, you may really be in for a surprise because folks pretty much care only about themselves. They like to talk about themselves and hear compliments.

Now you may have given the gossips some grist for their mills, but if you did, you are about to get even. Gossips need juicy bad things to talk about. Not good things. Gossips aren't going to be talking about hey did you hear that Mary was promoted and her family took her out? Oh really? Wait till I tell the girls at work!! Not going to happen is it? It is human nature, that's why "If it bleeds, It Leads!"

For every one of us that get sober, at least one gossip's life gets harder!

Talk to your doc as soon as possible, start there. Be honest with him.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of great advice here overthis so, for now, I'll just add my welcome

D
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So do I, not because I’m one of those truth is I haven’t tried any, I just wanted to help to those people who use to abuse themselves and helping the advocacy of this organization spread out to educate many.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thinking of you and sending you strength for the holidays. Let us know how you are doing.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Overthis - how's it going?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I too am new to this site and admitting to my problem. I wish I had come to my senses in my 20's. One of the biggest hurdles to my getting help has been that people would find out how truly messed up I really am. Then I realized that if I kept drinking people would absolutely know how messed up I am.
Now I just have to figure out how to reorganize my life sober when half my life has revolved around my drinking.
Keep us all posted on your progress. The first time you try to get sober is difficult.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for checking in. I am on day 16 and doing ok. I have to admit, I had to take a break from coming on here and reading posts. I was finding myself obsessing over reading posts and was spending so much time dwelling on my feelings and thinking about not drinking/drinking 24/7. Did something like this ever happen to any of you? I don't want my life to be controlled by alcohol in any way, shape or form and don't know if the way I'm feeling is just an early part of recovery.

I made it through thanksgiving, and one of my best friend's wedding festivities recently without drinking. I have had great support from my husband and he has been a huge part of my sobriety at this point. I am feeling a little stronger everyday. I hope everyone else is doing good!